Monday, July 09, 2012

Month 8 - Recap

Happy 2/3 year, my sweet Bear (we like reduced fractions in this house ... seeing 8/12 would give me the willies).

I wasn't sure I was going to be right, but you rallied in the last week of this month - you are now no longer toothless or immobile.  Granted, I can hardly see your one tiny tooth.  But truuuuuuuust me, I feel it.  With my finger, and um, with other things.  Your sister bit me a grand total of two times.  She quickly learned that biting meant that Mommy closed up shop, so to speak.  You, however, aren't phased by me closing up shop.  You giggle and simply wait until it's time to eat again.  Punk.

You're not technically crawling, but you're definitely going from Point A to Point B.  You haven't quite figured out that you need to be on your hands and knees to crawl - you're happy inchworming along, flipping and flopping using your toes and elbows until you reach your intended destination (usually Natalie's shoe - you find them tasty.  I find that 'ew'.)  Natalie is your biggest cheerleader.  When she sees you start to move, she claps and squeals "Come on, Char-yee Bear!  You can do it, Buddy!" (wait a few seconds) "Heeeeeeey!  Waaaaaaaaait!  That's MY toy!  Char-yee!!!  Don't crawl to MY toy!!!!"  Hopefully, by the time you're old enough to read these recaps, Natalie will have learned to share.

You're turning out to be quite a good eater.  You've liked everything I've given you (I almost don't remember all the foods you've had!) except you don't seem to dig peas.  And I can't say I blame you; they're gross.  (Don't believe the lies Aunt KK might tell you.)  The mesh feeder has proved invaluable to me/us.  It soothes your gums and allows you to feed yourself (which is all you want to do - you have no desire to be fed by a spoon anymore).  With Natalie, I had plenty of time to heat up her food and sit and feed her.  With you, alas, I find myself scrambling to feed you (and me and her).  Oh, the burdens of being the second child.  I feel your pain, dude.  Enter the mesh feeder (and cue the lights shining down from above).  Even though your mouth doesn't seem to bother you anymore, I still use the mesh feeder so you can feed yourself (so that I can get Natalie's lunch fixed).  I fear that makes me a Lazy Mommy, but I just prefer to think of it as me being an Efficient Mommy. 

You seem to be starting with the separation anxiety a little bit.  Up until this month, you were perfectly happy me dropping you off in the nursery at church or the gym. But now, your little face crumples into a pile of pitiful despair.  It's heart-wrenching for sure, but I rest easy in knowing that you're a big fat faker and are all smiles and giggles not five seconds later.

Daddy's mommy, your Nana, passed away late last month.  It was (and still is) such a loss, but I'm confident that God has been with us through it all.  His hand was evident in every aspect of her illness, and His mercy surrounded her.  Even though you're too young to remember her, I want you to know - to always know - how much Nana loved you.  Her face always broke into a huge smile every time she saw you, and she often commented on how you look like just how Daddy did when he was a baby.  You loved being held by her, and you always tried to take her glasses off.  Nana ooh-ed and ahh-ed over your sweet smile and your laid-back personality.  Your face was one of the last she saw before she passed away.  What a great way to enter into heaven: with a new body and a fresh memory of your adorable gummy grin, your impossibly chubby cheeks, and your crinkly eyes.

My heart is forever changed by you.  I don't know how to explain it, but 2/3 of a year ago, something inside me changed.  You, my darling big-headed Baby Bear, are amazing.  I'm a better Mommy because of you, Daddy's a better Daddy because of you, and Natalie's a better Natalie because of you.

Hugs and smooches,
Mommy & Daddy

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Headlines for July 9, 2012:

  • Sharks Ply Waters off Cape Cod in Search of Seals
  • Blind Passenger Causes 12-Hour Emergency Landing
  • Man Nears 3 Millionth Mile in '66 Volvo
  • US to Get a Reprieve From Heat Wave
  • Emirati Officials Find Baby Hidden in Carry-on Bag
  • Oscar-winning film star Ernest Borgnine dies, aged 95
  • 'American Idol' shakeup could bring in Adam Lambert as judge

No comments: