Friday, November 09, 2012

Month 12 - Recap


I was so busy writing your Yearly Recap that I almost forgot to talk about what you did this month.  Silly.

Your personality continues to shine and I love seeing what you'll do for a laugh.  (I'm well aware that this part of your personality will very likely get you in trouble at school.  But I'm also well aware that those stinkin' cute dimples of yours will very likely get you out of trouble at school, too).   You like to play Peekaboo with anything you can get your hands on - your bib, a towel, a sock, a block, a baseball, you name it.  And while you'll need something along the size of a beach towel or a dinner plate to actually cover your gigantic noggin, Peekaboo amuses you to no end.

Your latest trick is to put your head on our shoulder and snuggle into us when we ask you for a kiss.  I LOVE it.  And while I have no clue why you do THAT as a kiss, keep it up.  Especially when you get to be a teenager.  When you go in for your first kiss (like, when you're 18 ... or 25 ...), by all means, snuggle her shoulder instead.  That's A-OK with me.

Natalie got pink eye earlier this month, and I was 100% sure you were going to get it.  A week went by and you were symptom-free.  The very next day, I got you up from your morning nap and your eyelid was glued shut by massive amounts of crud.  I immediately burst into tears because I so wanted you and Natalie to dress up for Halloween.  I spent that day wiping breastmilk on your eyes and trying to pry your eyes open so  I could put eye drops in them.  You never had any other symptoms other than an a cruddy eye.  The next day, your eye was clear.  I was doing the happy dance, giving mad props to the impressive healing power of my breastmilk.  The next day, your OTHER eye was glued shut.  I immediately stopped the aforementioned happy dance, and repeated the breastmilk-and-eye-drop routine.  The next day, that eye was clear.  The next day, both eyes were cruddy (though not glued shut).  The next day, they were clear.  So annoying.  And it was either the weirdest case of Pink Eye EVER, or you had some funky, clogged tear ducts.  I'm leaning toward the clogged tear ducts because you were never fussy (except when I tried to de-gunk your eyes), you never got a runny nose, you never acted like you didn't feel well.  It doesn't really matter either way - the point is your eyes have now been gunk-free for a few weeks now.  And that's a lovely thing.

Speaking of breastmilk (I can practically hear you saying "Moooooom!  Don't talk about THAT!"), you decided you were uninterested in nursing about three weeks ago.  One day, I realized I only nursed you twice, and both times I had to come FIND you to nurse.  You never indicated to me you wanted it.  Since I thought it was silly to nurse a kid who's obviously not interested, I stopped.  And instead of buying a can of formula to tide you over until your first birthday, I broke the Wait Till A Child Is One Year Old Before Introducing Cow's Milk rule and gave you milk.  And dude, for real, you acted like I had just given you a bajillion dollars (if babies actually cared about money, of course).  You got so excited and sucked down every last drop; when you were done, you gave me the biggest smile.  When I started Natalie on regular milk, I had to warm it up a bit for her in order for her to like it.  With you, I gave it to you cold (this is yet another example of the classic case of second children never getting any special treatment) and you couldn't have been happier.  I have to fight Daddy off your milk - I got you the crunchy-granola, tree-hugger whole milk (the non-homogenized kind in glass bottles where you have to shake it every time you want some because the cream is floating on top), and Daddy thinks it's delicious.  And as much as I don't like to admit it, it IS really yummy.  I'd have to go back to work to support our current milk habit if we decided to make the switch to the tree-hugger milk for all of us.  Or I could just make YOU get a job. I'm sure somebody's in the market for a adorable, drooly, non-walking Scruncher Bear, right??

I dressed you up as Buzz Lightyear for Halloween.  I'm sure there were hundreds of boys dressed up like Buzz Lightyear, but I'm willing to bet that you were the only one who was named Buzz Lightyear in utero (more specifically, Buzz Yightyear, thanks to your sister's funny pronunciation of Ls).  You will always be my sweet Baby-Buzz-turned-Charlie-Bear.  And I will always be the luckiest momma ever.

Hugs and smooches,
Mommy & Daddy

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Headlines for November 9, 2012:

  • Storm-stricken NY wakes up to gas rationing
  • Gunman sentenced to life in Giffords case
  • Iranian missiles hitting Afghan soil, official says
  • Hurricane Sandy may have cost Obama 800,000 votes
  • It's not the 2000 recount, but voting snafus and disputes still plague Florida
  • 'Twilight' Fans Camping Out for Movie

No comments: