Tuesday, January 01, 2013

December 2012 - Recap

My sweet little puddin', 
So yeah.  I'm THAT mom.  With THAT girl.  You know, that mom with that girl who informed her three-year-old preschool class that Santa is just a guy in a costume.  *facepalm*  Now I know there are different schools of thought on the whole Santa thing.  Daddy and I have chosen the route of "Santa is a fun, kind character but not an actual person" route.  [We will, however, teach you about the generosity and kindness of the real Saint Nicholas.]  I think some kids are fine having the truth about Santa's existence told to them when they're older.  But you, my darling, I think would have run straight into Nuclear Meldown Mode of the Highest Degree if we had waited until you were older to break the news.  So instead of ever letting you believe he's real, we told you right away.  And it hasn't diminished your excitement about Christmas one bit.  You still giggle and squeal when you see Santa (from a distance of course.  You've got no desire to get too close), but you also know that Santa isn't what Christmas is all about.  It's about Jesus and celebrating His birth.  We are commanded to be in the world, not of the world.  And Santa is very much in our world.  In my opinion, there's no point in trying to shield you from every worldly thing (within reason, of course.  I'm okay with you knowing who Santa is.  I'm NOT, however, okay with you knowing the lyrics to Top 40 songs.)  I want Christmas to be a magical time for you.  Not magical in the sense of "Oh wow!  Look at all these presents I got!" but magical in the sense of "Oh wow!  I love all the lights, the fun songs, the time spent with family, and the celebration of Jesus' birth!"

Speaking of Santa, he came to your preschool.  And you were having NONE of it.  Not because you know he's just a dude in a costume, but because of a movie you saw last month.  You saw a movie where Santa wasn't portrayed as his typical big, jolly, kind self.  He wasn't mean in the movie, but he was giant, gruff, and very lean.  And you were terrified that Preschool Santa was going to be like Movie Santa.  I tried my best to reassure you, but it wasn't happening.  No biggie.  You checked him out from a distance and decided you'd rather eat chocolate chip cookies than sit with Santa.  Can't say I blame you.  Those cookies were delish.

Girlfriend, you are straight up READING.  Not everything, of course.  But we'll be driving around and you'll say "Mommy, why does that sign say 'ONE WAY' on it?"  Or we'll be at Publix and you'll see the Coinstar machine and say "Hey Mommy!  That big machine says 'NO FEE'!  What's a fee?"  It floors me.  You try your hardest to sound out words, and thanks to the impossibility that is the English language, you sometimes have a tough time (case in point: tough. You think it should be pronounced 'tuh-oo-guh-huh'.  I tend to agree with you.  English is whack.)

Your current favorite phrase is "Charlie, noooooooo!"  Ahh, yes.  Sibling love.  Wherein the younger sibling just wants to do everything the older sibling is doing, which TOTALLY rubs the older sibling the wrong way and causes her to whine and moan and grouse every time the younger sibling makes a motion toward her.  You have a little brother.  He thinks you're fabulous.  He wants to investigate everything you're doing.  It's like having your own personal fan club; enjoy it.  And if you have to whine about the trials of having a younger sibling, please call Aunt KK.  She'll be happy to commiserate with you.  For this situation, I'm on the side of the younger sibling.

Daddy and I got you a marble run for Christmas.  You were so excited by it, but I have to admit - the gift was also for us.  It's as much fun for you to watch the marble travel down the different designs we make, as it is for Daddy and I to make the designs.  It's a total nerd gift, and it fits right into our house, the House o' Nerds.  Aunt KK liked it so much that a few hours after seeing it, she bought a set for her and Uncle Mike to play with.  She SAYS it's for when you come to visit them at their house, but I know the truth.  So does she.  Ha.

Hugs and smooches,
Mommy & Daddy

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Headlines for January 1, 2013:
  • Ball Touches Down in New York City's Times Square, Marking Start of 2013
  • Senate Approves 'Fiscal Cliff' Deal, Sends to House
  • Clinton's Clot Was Life Threatening
  • 6 Pakistani Teachers Killed in Ambush
  • 'Mary Tyler Moore Show' House for Sale

No comments: