Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Month 40 - Recap

Oh my sweet kid,
This has been a month full of funny little moments. Moments that have perhaps given me glimpses into what you'll be like in five or ten years; moments that have reminded me that you are so very three and both fascinated and frustrated by this great big world; moments where your sweet personality stops me in my tracks; moments that encourage me to keep on keeping on with this parenting gig because what we're teaching you is slowly sticking; moments that encourage me to run and hide in the closet because I'm convinced what we're teaching you is going in one ear and out the other.

Periodically throughout the day, you'll stop what you're doing and ask me what certain words start with. And because of the way you say Rs (like Ws), our conversations can get crazy. Case in point:

You: Mommy, what does 'ride' [but pronounced as 'wide'] start wiff?
Me: *not sure which word you're referring to, so I take a guess* Like, 'I want to ride in a car'?
You: Yep!
Me: 'Ride' starts with an R. Ruh-ruh-ride.
You: *laughing* You so silly, Mommy. 'Ride' starts wiff a W! Wuh-wuh-WIDE!
Me: *not sure how to explain a speech issue to a three-year-old*
Me: Um, well, you're kind of right. Wide starts with a W. Ride starts with an R.
You: You still so silly, Mommy! Wide and Ride [again, still pronounced as Wide] both start wiff a W!
Me: *SERIOUSLY! HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO EXPLAIN THIS TO A THREE-YEAR-OLD?*
Me: Hey buddy, let's go get a cookie!

You call 'feetie jammies' 'Phoebe jammies'. I can't make this stuff up.

You and Natalie have been having some intense sibling fellowship recently. (That's just a nice way of saying that you two have been like bickering old ladies recently.) One source of contention is who gets to pray first at mealtime. It's a constant barage of "Me first! No MEEE!" It's ever so pleasant. But what IS pleasant (and precious and adorable and lovely) is how you pray. You prefer to bypass the "Thank You for ..." part of praying and jump right into "I wish You'd give me ..." You're three. God knows that. I'm pretty sure He's okay with your self-absorbed prayer.

"Dear God [I so wish I were able to type phonetically the way you pronounce 'God'. The closest I can come up with is 'Goaw'd'], I wish I could have a bow and awwow, an ice cream machine that I can lick the ice cream when it comes out, and a car set [no idea what this is, but I'm assuming it's something along the lines of big box o' Matchbox-type cars].  ...................... [long pause] ...................... Um, and please bless, um, ......................, my family?? Amen."

Amen indeed, my sweet boy.

Hugs and smooches,
Mommy & Daddy

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Headlines for March 9, 2015:
  • Firestorm erupts over GOP letter challenging Obama's power to approve Iran nuclear deal
  • Utah officers say mysterious voice called them to rescue baby trapped inside car
  • Fraternity Crackdown: Universities Are Clamping Down Hard, But Do Bans Work?
  • Apple Watch Coming on April 24, Lasts 18 Hours on Charge
  • Duchess Kate, 8 Months Pregnant, Steps Out With Royal Family

No comments: