Sunday, April 12, 2015

Month 41 - Recap

My dearest boy,
I took a cue from one of my good friends and began reading to you and Natalie during breakfast and lunch (and sometimes dinner if I'm feeling particularly chatty). You two think it's great. And I'm sure you thought it was EXTRA great because the first book we read was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory ... and now, you're ready for your own Chocolate Factory (because, duh, name-twins always get the same prizes). And in the next book I read (Danny the Champion of the World - we've been on a Roald Dahl kick lately), the taxi driver's name is Charlie. So naturally you want your own taxi.

I bought Uno for us this month and you two have turned into Uno FREAKS. Sometimes you like to be on a team with one of us but other times you want your own set of cards.

Here's how it goes when you're my partner:
You: "Oooh, we got a Skip card, Natalie! We're gonna skip you!!!"
Me: Dude, don't TELL her we have a Skip card!
You: Well I did tell her it was a BLUE skip card.

*the card in play is a red 7*
You: *look through our cards, decide on the green Reverse and play it*
You: BOOM, Natalie! We Reversed you!
Me: Except you can't play that card.
You: Yes I can - see? I just did! And I said BOOM, too!
Me: Right, except you either have to play a red card or a 7 card. A green Reverse is neither red nor a 7.
You: hmph.

Here's how it goes when you play on your own:
You: *gather up all your cards into a stack and hold the stack in your hand (ie: NOT fanning them out)*

*the card in play is a blue 3*
You: *look at your stack, but with only one card visible - and it's a green 0 - you determine you don't have any cards that are either blue or a 3, so you draw one*
Me: Wait, buddy. You're just looking at one of your cards. You have a whole stack of them underneath. Look at those to see if you have anything blue or a 3.
You: *do a purposefully bad job at fanning out the cards, then the cards fall to the ground*
You: UGH. I can't do this EVER! I want a snack.

I think you're almost ready to give up your nap. And I think I might cry when that happens. But truthfully, I stretched it out as long as I could. You were close to phasing it out a few months ago but I sweetened the deal by letting you nap in my bed. And it worked! For a little bit, at least. But it's getting harder and harder now, so you usually just hang out in your room, not sleeping. During the times you're not coming into the living room asking "When is quiet time over?" (you only do it every 4 seconds, so it's cool), you're in your room concocting elaborate scenarios that, from what I can hear, involve Batman, Superman, Baymax, a volcano, a flood, and gummy bears. Frankly I'm impressed you don't need a nap after developing a plot that intense.

Hugs and smooches,
Mommy & Daddy

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Headlines for April 9, 2015:
  • Hillary Clinton Running For President In 2016
  • Boy Who Fell Into Cheetah Exhibit Was Dangled Over Railing, Zoo Says
  • Fears over Roundup Herbicide Residues Prompt Private Testing
  • Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel Welcome Baby Boy Named Silas
  • Amazon founder plans to test suborbital spacecraft

No comments: