Friday, October 09, 2015

Month 47 - Recap

My sweet boy,
You, sir, are continuing to take the role as Resident Smith Family Picky Eater very seriously. You're now to the point where you ask me what we're having for dinner ... while you're eating breakfast. There are several possibilities why you ask this question.
  1. You're naturally curious.
  2. You want to spend all day in anticipation of the culinary magic I'll be serving.
  3. You need to make sure you eat all your lunch and prepare for a dessert-less evening because I'm serving neither grilled cheese nor cheese pizza.
I'll give you zero guesses as to which one is correct.

You even go so far as to tell me "Well, Mommy, I've decided that I don't like ice cweam today. So it's no big deal if I don't get any dee-zuht." And miraculously, you suddenly start liking ice cream again when I serve pizza for dinner.

You're starting to draw people. And in three-year-old fashion, you specialize in the toothpicks-sticking-out-of-an-egg approach. It's a good thing my self-worth isn't wrapped up in how you draw me. Cuz ouch, man.

You like to talk about what you want to be when you grow up. First it was a superhero (like most little boys, I imagine). But Natalie the Realist burst your bubble and informed you that superheroes aren't real. You were seriously bummed but she redeemed herself by listing all the occupations that are like superheroes. None of those really appealed to you (probably because those occupations don't include a cape, a rad car, and/or the ability to fly). So now you've decided that you want to be the lead singer of the Newsboys. I hope Michael Tait is ready for a run for his money in 20-something years.

You always want me to put you to bed and Natalie always wants Daddy. And recently, the four of us have started racing to your respective bedrooms at night. It's a guaranteed way to get you two to temporarily forget that you're going to bed and instead focus on winning. At whatever cost. Oh yes, we sometimes play dirty. Sometimes Daddy tries to block the entrance to your bedroom. Or I'll sit (gently) on Natalie on the couch to give you a head start to your room. Or I'll scoop you up immediately after our family prayer and run to your bedroom before Daddy and Natalie know what hit them.

But recently, you fall apart if Daddy and Natalie get to her room before you and I get to your room. You burst into tears and start yelling how it's not fair that we lost. So now The Great Bedroom Race is on hiatus until we're able to teach you the right way to lose. Losing is inevitable but there are ways to lose that don't involve such high decibels. Hopefully you'll figure this out soon so that we can get back to playing. Because there's no better way to end my day then by sitting on your sister to win a game.

Hugs and smooches,
Mommy & Daddy

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Headlines for October 9, 2015:
  • Next man up? House GOP pushes reluctant Ryan to seek speaker's chair
  • One dead, three hurt in shooting at Northern Arizona University
  • 'We are so relieved': Missing king cobra snake found under dryer near Orlando
  • Nobel Peace Prize awarded to Tunisian democracy group
  • Think Your Commute Is Bad? Try 50 Lanes of Beijing Traffic
  • GM Fined $900M Over Faulty Ignition Switches

No comments: