Monday, November 09, 2015

Month 48 - Recap

My dearest Bear,
You're FOUR! Yay!

In keeping with being in a gigantic nerd family (you're welcome, by the way. Or is it, I'm sorry? Eh, either way.), you've become fascinated by Rube Goldberg videos on YouTube. You and Natalie could spend hours watching them all. During Quiet Time the other day, you made one of your own. You (or Natalie) tied one end of your yo-yo string onto the handle of one of your dresser drawers. You tied the other end of the string to the handle of your closet door. When you closed your closet, your drawer slid open. The look on your face was priceless. Also, you pronounce Rube Goldberg like "Rude Goldbird". So now I'm picturing a bunch of YouTube videos of a gold-colored bird making unkind gestures at me with his wing and calling me names.

It's become glaringly obvious to me over the past few months that we have a problem. Well, you have a problem ... and that is that you don't like hanging out in your jammies. You want to get dressed as soon as you wake up. This just baffles my jammie-loving self to no end. How can you NOT like jammies? They're God's gift to the clothing industry. It's as if He said "To balance out this world that's full of buttons, snaps, clasps, and zippers, I will also gift to you a wonderful assortment of elastic waistbanded cottony goodness." Now sometimes the clothes you pick are the identical twin to jammies (exercise shorts and t-shirt) but sometimes you actively seek out a plethora of buttons and zippers as opposed to staying in your elasticky dinosaur-clad cotton delights. Now I totally appreciate this on the days we have to be out of the house before noon. I rarely have to tell you to get dressed. But on the wonderfully rainy days where we have exactly zero plans outside of the house, Natalie and I could hang out in jammies all the livelong day. Because why wouldn't you? But for some reason, the idea does not appeal to you. And I am flabbergasted.

We had your birthday party yesterday. This was the first year we had a 'real' birthday party for you, which means, of course, because of who I am, I was a mess of panicky nerves because entertaining and party-throwing are so far out of my comfort zone. But God is gracious and you are sweet - you loved my feeble attempt at decorating, you were so appreciative of the non-Pinterest-worthy racecar cake that I made, and you were tickled by the picture collage I put together ("Look at me, Momma! I was such a cute baby!"). You finally got your heart's desire - a bow and arrow. After one shot, Daddy and I agreed that we have to go back to the store and buy three more. Cuz Team Smith is gonna throw down with a Bow and Arrow competition. You also got a dump truck (that Natalie picked out herself), a train (a Hogwarts Express ... BOOM), a Lego Batman shirt (cuz, duh), and a bike (brand new from a consignment sale!). All of those presents were great, no doubt. But the one you love the most? The one you played with for hours, carried around the entire afternoon and put on your bedside table at night so it'll be close to you? The one that Uncle Mike bought you because he knew it'd drive me bananas? A Minion fart gun. Ah yes, you are now the proud owner of a digital Whoopie cushion. Uncle Mike and Aunt KK even included extra batteries! In case the original ones run out! We have extra! So awesome! *eyeroll*

Hugs and smooches,
Mommy & Daddy

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Headlines for November 9, 2015:
  • At least 1 reported dead, 2 wounded in subway shooting near NYC's Penn Station
  • University of Missouri faculty call for class walkout amid protests, football team boycott
  • Obama, Netanyahu Look to Mend Fractured Relationship
  • Could Drone Delivery Really Take Off? Experts Weigh In
  • Georgia Cop Helps Fallen Runner Finish Half-Marathon

No comments: