Monday, May 09, 2016

Month 54 - Recap

My sweet boy,
We took you and Natalie to your first concert (well, it was your first, Natalie's second) concert this month. Zealand Worship, Citizen Way, and MercyMe put on an amazing show. I was curious as to how you two would handle everything because it was quite an experience - the civic center was incredibly loud, really crowded, and dark (except for the stage lights, of course). We found our seats and quickly realized that the empty section behind us would be much more comfortable for two kids to jump around and sing, so we hopped the railing (Team Smith = rebels) and spread out. You switched between singing and telling (yelling) me "Momma! I know this song!!" to flying your Batman toy around.

The only problem I had with the concert was the starting time. 7pm. That's reeeeeally close to your bedtime. (Before the time change, that WAS your bedtime. Now, I have a hard time putting you to bed when it's still bright outside so we've pushed your bedtime back a bit). After you sang a few songs, you told me you wanted to go home and go to bed. I checked my phone. It was 7:45. Before MercyMe even got on stage. You seemed supremely bummed when I told you we had a long time before we'd be going home. You perked up during the intermission and we walked around the lobby for a bit.

When we sat back down and MercyMe took the stage, your eyes lit up and your lid was effectively flipped. The guys you've listened to on the radio and watched on YouTube countless times were now 50 yards away. You danced and jumped around and sang and laughed ... until you hit the wall. It was so way past your bedtime, I don't think you had been up that late since you had started sleeping through the night 3.5+ years ago. After singing a few songs, Bart Millard (the lead singer for MercyMe) spoke a bit about the wonderful thing that is God's grace. As he paused between thoughts, you let out a gigantic, dramatically loud, over-the-top yawn. It was both mortifying and hilarious. And apropos, given the subject of what Bart Millard was talking about. You and Natalie fell asleep within minutes of each other and missed the last 30 minutes of MercyMe's set. I imagine the dreams you dreamed had an amazing soundtrack.

Speaking of God, I'm pretty sure the rapture is a'comin' because you ate pork chops. That I cooked. This is incredible on several fronts. First, pork chops and hard boiled eggs always seem to best me in the kitchen, though I think I've finally found a pork chop recipe where the end result isn't like chewing on a racquetball. Hard boiled eggs however ... those wily beasts ... Second, you give 90% of my dinners either a thumbs-down or a side-thumb. The only dinners I cook that are worthy of the coveted thumbs-up are cheese pizza, grilled cheese, chicken drumsticks, and breakfast for dinner. To summarize, you never eat pork chops, especially MY pork chops. But you did a few weeks ago. AND you asked for seconds. If that wasn't evidence enough for an imminent rapture, you ate scrambled eggs. This is only incredible on one front, being that you're a Picky McPickyPants who refuses to try yummy food on the regular. Because my scrambled eggs? Oh buddy. MY scrambled eggs are the bomb. MY scrambled eggs are the best. This is common knowledge within Team Smith but you've finally decided to jump on board. You gobbled up the eggs on your plate, asked for seconds, then pouted when I told you that thirds would have to wait because I'd have to make another batch.

You had your first bout with strep throat earlier this month. You were a pitiful mess for about two days (and you fell asleep on me for the first time in years - momma heart = puddle) and then you recovered like a champ. You drank your disgusting medicine, you ate countless popsicles, you took multiple naps, and you watched a billion shows on Netflix. Other than the medicine part, it sounds like my perfect weekend.

Hugs and smooches,
Mommy and Daddy

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Headlines for May 9, 2016:
  • Prince Harry, President Bush Hope to Change Perceptions of ‘Invisible Injuries’
  • Why Trump's Flip-Flop on Taxes is So Astonishing
  • Ozzy Osbourne and Sharon Osbourne Split
  • Boaty McBoatface Rejected as Name for Research Ship
  • 7 Tips to Travel to the Rio Olympics on a Budget

No comments: