Sunday, October 09, 2016

Month 59 - Recap

My sweet boy,
You've been Lego-ing nonstop this month. You've built no fewer than 10 original police cars, police boats, and police planes. Your creativity is astounding.

Your preschool had their K4 Tea Party (it was actually a T Party, since you were learning about the letter T that week) a few weeks ago, and I'm just now beginning to recover from all the cuteness. I had heard about how fun it was from a friend whose older kids had all done it before but it wasn't until I experienced it with my own child, specifically my own boy, that I understood. It. Was. Precious.

For a few weeks before the party, your teachers worked with the class on manners, learning "I'm a Little Teapot", and practicing the polite way for young men to walk young ladies to their seats. Daddy wasn't able to come to your Tea Party so the night before the party, you showed him what you learned by leading Natalie to her seat. You held her hand and the two of you walked to the table. You pulled out her seat, she sat down, and you pushed her chair in. And you were none too quiet when you tried to push in the chair of someone who's three years older than you. You groaned, you heaved, you strained, you gave a gigantic WHEW! when you were done. All of us were laughing hysterically at this but we did have a little conversation afterward.

Me: Hey bud, please know you cannot make those noises when you push in the chair of the girl in your class. Girls rarely think it's funny when you make grunty noises when you push in their chair.
You: I know, Mommy! But Natalie just weighs SO much more than the girls in my class. It was really hard to push her in. I'm not that strong!
Me: Well of course you are. And also, don't comment on some girls weighing more or less than other girls. Girls rarely think that's funny either.
You: *sighs*

On the morning of the Tea Party you got dressed in a white button-down shirt, a blazer, a zipper tie (the best invention on the planet), khaki shorts, and slip-on shoes. (The last two items were because I can only push the fancy clothes thing so far with a four-year-old). You took one look at yourself in the mirror and said "I look like a businessman!" I agree. An impossibly adorable, incredibly precious businessman.

Your class was full of ties, hair gel, feather boas, flowers, hats, sparkles, lace, and jewelry. I loved it all.

You led a little girl to her seat without any problem and pushed her chair in with nary a sound. I was so proud. You used your manners while you ate and you kept your napkin in your lap. And then your internal stopwatch went off and you immediately wanted to stop with the Tea Party nonsense. You wanted nothing more than to change into your Batman shirt and favorite blue shorts. So we did (along with everyone else in your class). And the world was right.

I love that you participated in your Tea Party. I love that you know about manners (even if you don't use them all the time). I love that you hold doors open for ladies. I love that you're my boy. And I love that this is your last month before you become a whole hand years old. Say whaaaaa?

Hugs and smooches,
Mommy & Daddy

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Hurricane Matthew Kills at Least 20 in US as North Carolina Faces 'Major Destruction'
  • Second Presidential Debate Promises Ugliness After Trump Tapes
  • Rapid Response Poll: 43 Percent of Americans Say Trump Should Withdraw from Race
  • Poll: Clinton Unpopularity at New High, on Par With Trump
  • 5 Killed in Wrong-Way Crash Were in High School
  • 'Warrior Dash' Climbing Obstacle Collapses; 4 Hospitalized
  • Celine Dion Celebrates 1,000th Show in Las Vegas

No comments: