Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Fatten up, kid!

The Saga of the Never Ending Spit-Up continues ...

I've been doing this no dairy thing for almost two weeks and I'm not convinced that my diet changes (and having her on baby Zantac) have helped much. There are times when she spits up less, but it doesn't seem to be as much of a difference as I was hoping. And she seems to still be in pain when I burp her sometimes. We started giving her Mylicon after each feeding and I think that's helping a bit. But still, not enough as I was hoping.

So I took Natalie to see my lactation consultant yesterday for a weight check. Two weeks ago, she was on the low end of weight gain for a baby her age. Yesterday was a follow up appointment to see if my changes in diet have helped her gain more weight. And the verdict? She's still on the low end. Bummer.

She's only gained 1.5 lbs since she was born. My lactation consultant said she'd like to see at least a 2 lb increase by this point, but that 2.5 lbs would be ideal.

My LC suggested I cut out beef from my diet for two weeks, in addition to dairy. I don't eat a lot of beef anyway, but I had planned on eating more of it as a way to get extra protein and fat into my diet. So there goes that idea. Time to buy more chicken and fish!

My LC also noticed that Natalie had yeast in her mouth and also a diaper rash caused by yeast. I had noticed a white coating on Natalie's tongue, but I just chalked that up to her spitting up so much. Apparently some of the white on her tongue is from spitting up, but most of it is yeast. Who knew? My LC said getting that cleared up might help with how much Natalie spits up.

But I'm going to bring Natalie into her pediatrician tomorrow to see if there's another medicine we can put her on. My LC said that pediatricians are very hesitant to put babies on medicine, but that Natalie is on the cusp of needing something stronger than baby Zantac.

I really hope we can find something to help her keep food down. Please keep Nat in your prayers!

6 comments:

Wes and Rae Leytham said...

You are all in my prayers!!

Jess said...

Just keep trying and don't give up!! :) I'll definitely be thinking about you guys and hoping for the best!!

And keep in mind that not all babies grow in the same way or same pattern. Not that I'm an expert, by any means. But a friend in AZ, her son was on the low end and she freaked out about it, then the next time she brought him in he'd gained way more than usual. Sometimes they slack off then have a growth spurt. And try to remember that for bf babies, a lot of it is how many wet/poopy dipes they have.

You are doing every thing you can, and doing every thing right!! Things will get better!!

Anonymous said...

Suze,

If NJS has thrush (yeast in her mouth) then you want to make sure you both are treated for it. Tucker had it when he was nursing and they failed to treat me and it just gets worse & then the baby gets it over & over. Also, Tucker had the spitting up after eating thing...he just ate too fast, they had me pump for a week or two and monitor how much he ate & how fast and made sure he didn't eat too fast. Worked for use. Just a couple of suggestions. Hope all goes well. Keeping you in my thoughts & prayers :) Kimberly

Miri said...

Poor Natalie! She is too gosh darn cute to not be feeling well :(
Sending her healing prayers.

Anonymous said...

Def have you in our prayers! poor kiddo and you guys! You are doing good! hang in there.
don't forget that nuts are a great source of protein. and if you are having a side dish the couscous and quinoa have significantly more protein then say rice or potatoes.
Love ya!
Kendra

The Schlosser's said...

We are definitely praying for little Natalie...and you guys!