Saturday, February 21, 2009

Frustration

So we thought we had this reflux thing beat. I changed the way I fed and burped her at the suggestion of Nat's pediatrician. And on Tuesday and Wednesday, she hardly spit up at all. We were thrilled!

Unfortunately it was short-lived.

She started spitting up again on Thursday - and has been doing it after most feedings since then. Ugh. She still seems like she's in pain, but at least it doesn't happen with every feeding.

Nat's pediatrician said it could take another week or so for the Prilosec to get rid of the pain completely. And it could take up to a month to see a difference in the amount she spits up.

I pray that the Prilosec works quickly. Lee and I hate seeing her in pain. She's too young to understand what hurts or why it hurts - and not being able to take away that pain is really, really hard. And her not gaining a lot of weight is unsettling to us. She's ranging between the 35th-50th percentile for weight. There's not a cause for concern, but I just figured that she would have long outgrown her newborn clothes by now. I want her to be healthy and I don't see how she can continue to be healthy if she can't keep her food down.

Go away, reflux. You're not welcome here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that you all are having to suffer through this, especially little Natalie. She continues to be in my prayers.

jamie and jeremy said...

Oh poor baby! And poor mommy and daddy! We will be praying for you guys as always. I have a friend who had a baby in November and she also had to put her baby on Prilosec. It DID take a week or so to get into her system, but it works pretty well for her. I hope Natalie has the same success.

Wes and Rae Leytham said...

I hope Baby Natalie feels better soon!