Friday, March 02, 2012

February 2012 - Recap

And the Oscar for longest list of bedtime-delay tactics goes to ... you. I had NO idea that a three-year-old could come up with the wackadoo things that you do in order to delay bedtime. You even resort to affection (seriously? I have to practically tackle you to get a kiss, but when it's bedtime, you want kiss after kiss after kiss after kiss. Adorable? Yes. Dirty pool? Oh yes.) Here is a list of things that you've called out to us after we've put you to bed.
  • Something's tick-yin (tickling) my feet!
  • Ash-yee's (Ashley - your Cabbage Patch Kid) hair is sticking up!!
  • My bee-yanket (blanket) is bwoken (broken).
  • My ewephant (elephant) won't stop moving (Note: your elephant is a stuffed animal. A non-electronic, non-moving stuffed animal.)
  • Yaw-wen Bear (Lauren Bear - your beloved teddy bear) keeps diwwy-dow-ee-ing (dilly-dallying).
  • I don't yike (like) gum!!!!!!! (Um, what?)
Most of our responses are "Aw, gee, I'm sorry. Well, good night! We love you!" Shockingly, you don't like our responses.

You and Daddy have started an 'I Love You More Than' game. Allow me to describe:
Daddy: I love you more than ... chocolate cake!
You: [giggling] Nooooo ... rewwy?? (really)
Daddy: Yep!
You: I yuhve you more than ... waisins (raisins)!
Daddy: No way!
You: Yes!!!
Daddy: I love you more than bacon!
You: No way. Dat's siwwy (silly).
Daddy: It's true!!
You: I yuhve you more than ... theeka thouka thacka!!!
Daddy: Um, wow! That's ... uh ... fantastic!!

You've always gotten a kick out of watching me put on my makeup in the morning ("Wow! Those little brushes, tubes, and blocks of color are magic! They make Mommy go from 'Haggard' to 'Haggard with Darker Eyelashes and Rosier Cheeks'. Amazing!"). And you've started asking why I put it on. I have to choose my words carefully, because I don't want to lead you to believe that you can't be pretty or feel pretty without wearing makeup. You got some Dora makeup for your birthday. And by 'makeup', I mean nail polish and lip gloss. You didn't have must interest in it until the past week. Now you're fascinated by it. You paint your toes and fingers no fewer than six times a day. Your toes are truly a work of art. A pink and purple and blue symphony of sparkles. It would be quicker (and have the same outcome) if you just dipped your toes directly into a big bowl of polish. But that'd be too easy. You'll sit on the kitchen floor, and methodically paint each toe (notice I put 'toe' and not just 'toenail'). I have to admit, it makes me giggle. Perhaps I should help you take it off before we go to church (or really anywhere in public), but I just can't bring myself to do it. You're so proud of your handiwork, and really, you're three. This is what you're supposed to be doing. And let's not forget the lip gloss. Ohhhh, the lip gloss. Or, more accurately, Yip Gwoss. You stand in front of your bathroom mirror and lather it on. It's gloppy, it's sticky, it's gooey, it's sparkly. In other words, it's a three-year-old girl's BFF. You look like a hot mess when you're finished, but again, you're so proud of yourself that I can't help but smile.

You've got a pretty good handle on using the certain room in our house for certain bodily functions. Even though it's not really new to you anymore, you still like to sing a "Yay, I did it!" song after you go. What's funny is that you sing the song for me when I go and tell me how proud of I am you are. I have to admit, it's pretty adorable. You also congratulate me for eating my vegetables, for giving Daddy a hug, and for emptying the dishwasher. Having you around is like having my own little personal cheerleader.

I lost my temper at you the other day. I'm not one of those parents who can keep their cool in every situation and only respond to Toddler Rudeness (and not react), but the other day was cuh-RAZY. I was sleep-deprived (I'm glaring at your brother right now) and you woke up unnaturally early that day - so we were both on edge. I won't go into details what I freaked out over, but after we had both calmed down, I came to you and apologized for yelling. You smiled, grabbed my face in your hands, and simply said "You're forgiven, Mommy!". Then you asked me to play Candy Land. Your forgiveness was so simple, yet so kind. Daddy and I try really hard to teach you to apologize and we make a big deal about forgiveness. It's been a great avenue to introduce you to the way God forgives us. And when you said "You're forgiven" and immediately forgot about it and wanted to play Candy Land, it was a beautiful picture of how easily and quickly God forgives us when we confess our wrongdoings. You didn't hold it over my head and neither does God. Thank you, my precious girl, for giving me glimpses of our God. Sometimes I get so caught up in being a Mommy and a wife that I forget that first and foremost, I'm a child of God. And you, sweet girl, are an unparalleled blessing.

Hugs and smooches,
Mommy & Daddy

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Headlines from March 1, 2012:
  • More twisters in forecast as survivors recount ordeal
  • Prosecutors: Jerry Sandusky's alleged victims as young as 8
  • Women donate 'dining out' money to women globally
  • Romney, Santorum fight for Super Tuesday prize
  • Coroner: Davy Jones died of heart attack
  • Jaleel White of 'Family Matters' joins 'Dancing With the Stars' cast: Who are you rooting for?

No comments: