Monday, February 13, 2012

Month 3 - Recap

My darling baby boy,
To put it simply: you, little sir, rock. For realz. (I know, I know - I'm too old and too unhip to end letters in a "z". Too bad. Get used to it.) You started smiling well before I thought you were going to. And you've started a pretty decent sleeping schedule. I wasn't expecting you to do 7-and-8-hour stretches until you were a lot older. Of course, now that I've put it into writing, you'll go back to waking up 3 and 4 times a night. Dang. Me and my big mouth (fingers).

For a big-headed baby, you've got pretty good head control now. You haven't clocked me in the jaw from your crazy, errant head-bobbing in at least a week. And again, now that I've put it into writing, you'll go back to jaw-clocking. Dang again.

I'm still not quite able to figure out your typical routine. You usually go to sleep around 9:00p and wake up around 5a. After you eat, you usually sleep until 7 or 7:30a. But after that, it's anybody's guess. Sometimes you go a few hours before taking another nap. Other days, you take a 3 hour nap after your 7am feeding. Sometimes you nap while Natalie naps, but that doesn't happen very often (note: I typed that really grumpily, but you couldn't tell). I was hoping that if I delayed your last feeding till 10p, you'd sleep till 5:30 or 6:00a, but no dice. It seems like regardless of what time I feed you, you wake up at 4:30 or 5. That's certainly fine and I'm not complaining at ALL, but I struggle with what to do after I feed you. It seems silly to go back to sleep for another hour, but 4:30 or 4:45 is awfully early to start my day. Is that extra hour going to really make me feel really refreshed? Probably not. But, again, 4:45a is awfully early. I say all that, but in reality, I know your schedule will change many, many times over the next year or two. So really, I should just hush and enjoy the uninterrupted sleep I'm getting.

You're very drooly. I don't remember Natalie drooling as much as you do. Then again, perhaps Natalie DID drool - it was just masked by the excessive amounts of vomit that she regular shot out of her mouth. Anyway - back to you. Maybe you're an early teether, maybe you produce more saliva than your little mouth can handle, or maybe you just severely lack social graces. Whatever it is, you have a very wet chin.

I made the leap and decided to cut (most) dairy out of my diet, hoping that will help your stomach feel better. I cut out milk, cheese, yogurt, and ice cream. I wouldn't do this for just anyone, kid. Because really, mommy loves her dairy. Mommy misses her dairy. But Mommy loves you more. (If you need to wipe a tear away, you may do so now). Thankfully, the lack of dairy seems to really help you. You don't cry (much) after I feed you anymore (unless I accidentally cut your feeding short ... THEN you get maaaaaaaaaaad) and you seem a lot more content.

You are fascinated by Natalie. She provides endless entertainment for you. She doesn't even have to be doing something that involves you; you just really like watching her. She likes to lean over your bassinet and squeal in your face. It's only made you cry once; those seem to be pretty good odds. I can tell you're just itching to play with her and swap stories about how hopelessly lame Daddy and I are. (It's okay, though. Daddy and I think we're cool. And that's all that matters.)

Hugs and smooches,
Mommy & Daddy

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Headlines for February 9, 2012:
  • Laptop-shooting dad, after 21 million views, says he'd do it over again
  • Romney breaks losing streak, wins Maine caucuses
  • Meet Blue Ivy! Beyonce and Jay-Z share first baby photos
  • Induced labor lets dying Texas man see daughter
  • Burglar breaks in, folds clothes, cooks dinner

No comments: