Monday, April 09, 2012

Month 5 - Recap

Well, sir, you win the race of Which Smithkid Can Get An Ear Infection Before the Other? Natalie got her first one just a month before she turned two. But you, you little One Upper, got your first one just a week before you turned five months. I noticed you coughing on the evening of Daddy's and my anniversary, but I didn't think much of it. Fast forward three hours and you began your Four Nights of Not Sleeping More than One Hour at a Time. You didn't have a fever, but your nose was half-congested-and-half-runny and you kept coughing. The next morning, I called the nurses' line at your pediatrician's office and was told that as long as you didn't have a fever and as long as you were able to breathe well, then there's not really anything the doctor can do. Poo. The next night was just as bad. You were up and crying every hour or so and nothing really seemed to console you besides incessant jiggling (which, while it may be a great calorie burner, it's hard to do at 2am. And again at 3am. And again at 4am. And again at 5am.) You looked absolutely miserable. Your eyes were runny, your nose was runny, and, of course, you were still drooling. 'Soaking wet mess' is a pretty good phrase to describe you. I'm not proud of this, but I called the nurses' line again the next morning and told a little white lie by saying your cough sounded croup-y. I wanted the doctor to see you to determine if there was something more than just a cold, but I didn't want to sound like a worry-wart mother. Which I am, by the way. Anywho, I do NOT advocate lying and I do NOT want you to lie, but I'm so glad your pediatrician saw you that day. She took one look in your ears and said "Oh wow. He's definitely got an ear infection. And an upper respiratory infection." So while I'm so sorry you're sick, I'm THRILLED there was a (relatively) quick fix for it. By the second day of being on an antibiotic, you seemed like you were feeling better. You're still not sleeping great at night, but it's a heckuva lot better than what it was. (Side note: Natalie got an ear infection two days later. Two Smithkids, each with a double ear infection. Each not sleeping for more than 45 minutes at a time before waking up crying [at different 45-minute intervals, of course.] You're welcome for not making you both sleep outside.)

You giggle. A lot. And seriously, kid, it's like music to my ears. You're such a good-natured boy (except when you're tired. You're pretty much a bear when you're tired. And not a cute Charlie Bear kind of bear. You're a grumpy, fussy WAAHHHHHHHH kind of bear.) so it's pretty easy to get you to giggle. We laugh a LOT in this house, so it bodes well that you're so amused by us. Is it sad that we like the validation of our humor when we can get a baby to giggle? Eh, probably.

We put you in the Jumperoo for the first time this month. It was one of Natalie's favorite toys and I was totally excited to see how you'd like it. It took you two-ish weeks before you got the hang of it. And even then, you still don't really jump. And why one earth WOULD you, since Natalie pushes the Jumperoo up and down FOR you. It's hysterical. You're just a passenger. As far as you know, the Jumperoo runs on Natalie propulsion.

It's so funny how differently I approach your milestones, being the second child and all. I was practically tracking Natalie's every move and making sure it lined up with what was appropriate for her specific age. But you? You're not rolling over yet (you're about 95% of the way there), but it's no biggie. You're not great at holding up your head for long periods of time when you're on your tummy (in your defense, I don't think I'd do any better at holding up a behemoth head either), but it's no biggie. Mainly I think that everything leading up to you becoming mobile can wait as long as possible. I know what happens when babies become mobile. And I really, really enjoy knowing that if I put you in one position on the floor, leave the room for a few minutes and come back, you're going to be in pretty much the same position I left you in (give or take a few degrees). But a mobile baby? Dude. That's a whole 'nother can of worms that I'm just not ready for. So if you don't crawl till you're six, it's cool with me.

You seem to like when I read to you. You come with me when I read to Natalie before her naptime and the books seem to hold your interest for a while. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is one you get particularly squeal-y about. It was one of Natalie's favorites, so it's cute to see that you like it too. I distinctly remember Bob reading bedtime stories to Aunt KK and me when we were younger. And truth be told, she read to us WELL past the age of when kids usually aren't read to anymore. But I loved it. It's one of my most treasured memories, being curled up on Aunt KK's bed while Bob read us each book of the Little House of the Prairie series. And when she reached the last page of the last book, we started the first book all over again. I don't remember of LHOTP bookies are too 'girlie' - I'll have to reread them and see, because I would love, love, love to read those books to you and Natalie. And maybe in between each LHOTP book, I'll read a book about robots or dinosaurs or dump trucks or something. Just to boy it up a bit. Cuz I'm nice like that.

I pray for you and your sister a lot, but one of my most fervent prayers is that you both come to a saving knowledge of Jesus. I can't be a good mom without Him (as evidenced by you and your sister not sleeping in the yard when you double-teamed me with ear infections). I can't be a good wife without Him. I can't be a good ANYthing without Him. Yesterday was Easter. Easter is my favorite holiday, and celebrating my risen Savior coupled with you being 0.416-with-a-line-over-the-six'th of a year old makes the day especially special. YOU are especially special, my darling Baby Bear.

Hugs and smooches,
Mommy & Daddy

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Headlines for April 9, 2012:
  • 'Everybody's going to do it': Teens risk melanoma to tan for prom
  • Magical shot in playoff lifts Bubba Watson at Masters [side note: Bubba Watson is from Milton, and went to the same high school as Daddy!]
  • London, NYC top the cities favored by ultra-rich
  • Athletic dudes' girly little secret: The pedi
  • World's smallest puppy fits in a mug
  • '60 Minutes' veteran Mike Wallace dies

1 comment:

Moore Family said...

LHOTP is not too girlie. Don't worry. I plan to read them to my kiddos, and they're BOTH boys. It's all good. :)

Add The Little Prince, Tuck Everlasting, Wrinkle in Time, Cricket in Times Square ... and maybe eventually some Harry Potter to your list. :)

Well, our list is waaay too long, so I can't even begin to tell you everything we want to read. LOL