Friday, September 05, 2014

August 2014 - Recap

My sweet girl,
We knew the day would eventually come. This summer heat has been fairly manageable (and coming from me, that's an impressive statement) up until August. We spent most of the summer at the pool. The outside temperature was warm but the pool stayed nice and cool. And then the heat fell upon us in suffocating waves. And the pool felt like bathwater. We went once and you were all, "Um, Mommy? This isn't refreshing at all. I'm sweating in the pool." And I'm all, "Sweet! Let's go home and eat ice cream." It rained so much last summer that we never once went to the pool. This summer, we more than made up for it. And that we made it till August before the pool water became warm? Not too shabby.

So since we're not going to the pool anymore, I send you and Charlie outside a lot to play. One particular day, you two were clomping around outside in your rain boots spraying some sidewalk chalk with the hose to see what happens (in case you're curious, Crayola chalk held up like a champ. Dollar Tree chalk melted like the Wicked Witch of the West). All of a sudden you flew into the house and yelled about seeing a wasp. Momma don't play around with stinging insects, so I went outside in search of the wasp spray. I couldn't find it, so I went to a shelf under our carport and lifted up a box lid to see if it was in there. I barely get the lid off before I heard "bzzzzzzz". I lose my ever-loving mind and started to yell for your and Charlie to get in the house. I got out "GET IN TH--" before I felt the sting on my ring finger. I yelled at the dumb bee for stinging me which made you and Charlie immediately burst into tears. You clomped up the stairs as fast as you could (fairly difficult to do in rain boots) but Charlie can't move very fast in them (think of a newborn giraffe) so he just stayed put. I scooped him up and we bolted inside. I haven't been stung in 20 years and clearly forgot how badly it burns. So ironic that I get stung by a bee while looking for wasp spray. I'm thankful that it was a bee and not a wasp, so I only got stung once. It took you a good 20 minutes to chill out and then you (in your most dramatic voice) declared "I am NEVER going outside again until I'm 21 or 23."

Not long after the bee incident, you and Charlie were being especially snippy to each other, so I sent you two outside to sweat out the snippiness. After a few minutes I noticed that you guys weren't playing, you were both sitting on the stairs. I went outside to check on you.

Me: What's up? Why aren't you guys playing?
You: Charlie and I split up. So I'm pouting on the stairs.
Charlie: Yeah, I pouting, too.
Me: Why did you split up?
You: Charlie won't play the way I'm telling him to.
Charlie: Nope! And Natawee won't pway da way I tell her to pway.
You: Nope. So we split up.
You: Oh, that's too bad. I suggest you two figure out a way to play together nicely or you'll be out here pouting until dinnertime.

Not two seconds later, you guys made up a game that involved a shovel, a jump rope, and a ball. And all was right for the Smithkids ... for at least five minutes.

You've been quite the strong-willed little tart this month. You only like doing something if it's fun (in case you were wondering, putting your dishes in the dishwasher is not fun). You only like playing with Charlie if he does exactly what you tell him to do (in case you're wondering, Charlie is not a fan of that idea). You only like writing if you form your letter the way you want to form them (in case you're wondering, your TeacherMomma isn't going to let that fly). So parts of this month have been especially trying. And now that we're delving into homeschool, I'm praying even more for wisdom and relying on His grace to fill in the (numerous) gaps in my ability to be a good momma and teacher. You are my heart, my darling girl. And while I know we'll butt heads, it's important to me to be the one to teach you to butt heads with someone in a respectful manner. Homeschool is going to be full of learning English, math, science, and history - but we're also going to take a lot of time to learn important life skills. Cooking, cleaning, sharing, disagreeing, apologizing, reading the Bible, volunteering, pulling weeds - these are also things I want you to learn. And I'm stoked to get to teach you, my love.

Hugs and smooches,
Mommy & Daddy

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Headlines for September 1, 2014:
  • Ebola-Stricken Dr. Rick Sacra Arrives in United States for Treatment
  • Lava Flow Threatens Residents on Hawaii's Big Island
  • Joan Rivers Dead at 81
  • New Rescue Mission for ISIS Hostages Difficult, Still Possible: Experts
  • Great Dane Eats Nearly 44 Socks

No comments: