Sunday, November 09, 2014

Year Three - Year End Review

The dimples and shenanigans just keep on coming, my sweet kid. How FUN this year has been.

10 Things You're Good At:
  1. Making people laugh
  2. Being charming (you're definitely your Daddy's boy)
  3. Being BFFs with the toilet
  4. Aggravating your sister (you treat it like it's your job)
  5. Putting your dirty dishes in the dishwasher
  6. Sweating (you're definitely your parents' boy)
  7. Knowing colors, numbers, shapes, and (uppercase) letters
  8. Being cautious (there's not a daredevil bone in your body)
  9. Putting your clean clothes in your dresser
  10. Throwing a ball

10 Things You're NOT Good At:
  1. Eating veggies (except for orange bell peppers, cucumbers [sometimes], and carrots [sometimes])
  2. Remaining calm when things don't go your way (you're three, I get it)
  3. Pedaling your tricycle (could be that you need to be taller; I think it's that you need to be less lazy)
  4. Brushing your teeth (sucking the toothpaste off your toothbrush does not count as brushing your teeth)
  5. Getting dressed by yourself (I think you need to be less lazy in this department, too)
  6. Making me dinner (punk)
  7. Eating yogurt without wearing at least 20% of it
  8. Sweeping (you ARE, however, exceptionally good at spreading MY pile of dirt around the floor)
  9. Being quiet in the middle of the night. You grunt, howl, whine, fuss, and whimper. Daddy and I are 95% sure you do it all in your sleep.
  10. Sorting laundry (your method of sorting laundry and my method of sorting laundry are vastly different. One way results in sorted laundry. The other way results in underpants on your head.)

10 Things You Love:

  1. Any and all carbs and cheese (bonus points if they're put together in a grilled cheese sandwich)
  2. French fries
  3. Natalie
  4. The Weggo [Lego] Movie
  5. Superheroes
  6. Singing (you like to duet with Natalie)
  7. Jumping on Mommy and Daddy's bed
  8. People (again, you're definitely your Daddy's boy)
  9. Jeans 
  10. Construction equipment (the bigger, the better)

10 Things You Don't Love:
  1. Baths (seriously, knock it off. It's not funny anymore)
  2. Green veggies
  3. Bugs (poor kid, you're a gnat magnet. I guess they're drawn to sweaty boys with perpetually skinned knees)
  4. Being on a trampoline or a bouncy house with other kids on/in it (you don't like someone else controlling when you jump)
  5. Loud noises (we had to leave a basketball game after 10 minutes because you couldn't stand the buzzer and the referee's whistles)
  6. Animals (you're freaked out by pretty much every animal; you usually warm up to them after a few hours)
  7. The dark 
  8. Bad guys in movies (just like Natalie)
  9. Getting dirty/messy (we're working on that, though)
  10. Taking turns (What's that you say? A three-year-old who doesn't like to share? That's crazy business!)
Oh buddy, your second year was a blast. The Terrible Twos were nowhere to be found. (It does make me a little fearful of Year Three, but I try not to think about it too much). Your tantrums were all very textbook - you got mad, you pitched a fit, you calmed down a few minutes later, and you were over it. When you and Natalie argue, she internalizes it for a long time and you're over it three seconds later. It could be because you're only three and don't know how to internalize things, but I have a feeling this is simply your personality. You're a peace-maker, a forgiver, a friend.

Natalie and I have had a lot of conversations about you recently. Mostly like this:

N: Mommy, how come Charlie is having fun and I'm sitting over here pouting?
Me: (as gently as I can) Well, love, Charlie has made the choice to be cheerful - just like you're choosing to pout.
N: Charlie's pretty good at being cheerful, huh, Mommy?
Me: Yeah, he is, sweetie.
N: He helps me to be more cheerful. And to have more fun.
Me: Me too, kid.

Natalie is very much like me; you're very much like Daddy. I understand Natalie's habit of internalizing everything and being very moody. So when I see someone (like you and Daddy) who's carefree and good-natured, I'm incredibly envious (and secretly hope that your carefree-ness and good-natured-ness are contagious). I'm itching to see how God is going to use you. You walk around the house singing praise music (Mercy Me is your favorite) and you've recently talked about how "God changed my heart" (after a recent squabble with Natalie) and "God changed my cough" (after a recent bout of an allergy flare-up). One of my many prayers is that you're sensitive to what He says and willingly follow where He leads. I pray you would experience the joy of being right where He wants you to be. I pray your contentment would not be determined by how much stuff you have, how many places you've been to, or how many things you've experienced. I pray your contentment would rest in Him. In knowing who you are by knowing Whose you are.

You're the poster child for Enjoy All The Things, and I'm the poster child for Enjoy All The Charlie Bear.

Hugs and smooches,
Mommy & Daddy

No comments: