Friday, January 01, 2016

December 2015 - Recap

My love,
You're seven today. Halfway to fourteen. A third of the way to 21. A fourth of the way to the age I was when you were born. Dude.

You finally conquered your Mt. Everest, also known as a backwards roll. After months of backward roll-less gymnastics classes, you figured out how to get your legs to cooperate. And it was a glorious sight. I have to admit, I enjoy watching you struggle at something you really want to figure out. Watching you struggle at folding gigantic bath towels is one thing (albeit a funny thing). Watching you struggle at word problems is another thing (albeit a good character-building thing). But watching you struggle at something totally voluntary is something completely different. You practiced so much at home, determined to figure out how to do it. And one day at class, you did. Hopefully this will convince you that struggling through things is not, in fact, fatal.

Christmas is so rad with kids. There can never be too many Christmas lights, too many sprinkles on Christmas cookies, too many Christmas carols, or too many Christmas decorations. You and Charlie wanted to cram as much Christmas stuff into our days as humanly possible. And God bless your sweet little self, because there were many days where I forgot to do my Official Christmas Duties.

You: Mooooommmmmmm! You forgot to hide Sam [our Elf on the Shelf ... we don't do Santa, so Sam doesn't have any Santa responsibilities. My job is just to hide him each night and you guys find him each morning. You would think that wouldn't be a problem. You'd be wrong.]
Me: I know. I forgot.
You: But you forgot the past four days!
Me: Well, yes. That's true. Maybe Sam just likes it behind the picture frame.
You: Mooommmmmm! That's not how to play! You're supposed to put him in a different spot!
Me: Sometimes I have to make the choice between providing you with clean underwear and clean dishes or a new Where's Sam? game.
You: Oh, well, thanks. I'll hide him for Charlie then.

You: Moooooommmmmmm! We forgot to make Christmas cookies!!!!!!!
Me: *thinking* Oh snap. I don't have the time to do homemade cookies. And isn't that, like, a law for Christmas? Aren't I supposed to cover my kitchen in flour and powdered sugar and tra-la-la in and amongst the dirty bowls and messes and twirl about making lasting memories with my precious children? This Mom Guilt struggle is real.
Me: *out loud* Oh look! I have these break-apart-some-pre-portioned-cookie-dough-blobs-and-bake-them cookies! Let's throw these in the oven and then y'all can drown them in sprinkles.
You: THIS IS THE BEST EVER!

Grace. Kids are just chock full of it.

Appreciation. This momma is just chock full of it towards Pillsbury and its products geared towards last-minute mommas.

Hugs and smooches,
Mommy & Daddy

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Headlines for January 1, 2016:
  • Natalie Cole Dies at 65
  • San Diego Twins Born in Different Years: New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day
  • Attorney denies report that 'affluenza' teen had gun
  • Researchers Fly a Drone Using an Apple Watch
  • Kim Jong Un Says North Korea Is Ready for War if Provoked

No comments: