Thursday, November 06, 2008

Embracing the Waddle (and other notes to myself)

When I first got pregnant, I told myself "Self, you can certainly make it nine months without adopting the dreaded 'pregnancy waddle'". I naïvely thought the extra weight I would inevitably gain wouldn’t change the way I walk (and didn’t think for a second that it’d change the way I sit!). That I could gain 25+ lbs and somehow expect to be-bop down the road like I’d always done. Ha, I say.

Hey self, listen up! If/When you get pregnant with GB#2, embrace the waddle. Because if being pregnant with GB#2 is anything like being pregnant with GB#1, your hips will hurt like crazy. And adopting the pregnancy waddle makes them hurt a little less. Yes, you may look silly. But suck it up and waddle anyway.

And another thing, self: don’t feel bad about using the handicapped bathroom stalls. Non-handicapped stalls are not pregnant woman-friendly. You practically have to stand on the toilet to open the door so it doesn’t hit your stomach. (Whose dumb idea was it that bathroom stall doors open in instead of out?)

5 comments:

Jess said...

The bathroom thing is so true. I can remember thinking I wouldn't be able to get into (or out of) a couple bathroom stalls. So, yup, I started using the handicap ones. And when you have a squirming baby with you and you need to pee - also a good time to use the handicap stall. And when in a couple years you have a little one needing to use the potty, and another little one in your arms, you can not all three fit into a regular stall - go ahead and use the handicap one then too. Evidently being pregnant or having small children is a handicap. Hmph.

Wes and Rae Leytham said...

Ummmm, don't be mad just because Casa Ole's bathroom is 2 feet x 3 feet and the door takes up the whole bathroom.

Wes and Rae Leytham said...

Oh, ditto what Jess said. Plus, a stroller fits very nicely in the handicap stall.

Lee and Suze said...

It's ironic that I posted this before we went to Casa Ole ... and they were kind enough to drive my point home for me.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jess, it only gets worse. The other day Duke and I were flying back from OK and I had to go so bad (you really can't leave a two year old in a seat to use the airplane bathroom...things you never thought of before kids). So, we arrive at our destination and I run to the bathroom with 3 carry-ons, a stroller, and a sleepy 2 year old. Every single stall was open except for the handicap stall. So, as I am sitting there, I am thinking to myself, 'This woman better be in a wheelchair missing both legs when she comes out'. Was she? You guessed it, she was not. She was perfectly capable of going to a regular stall, but apparently those aren't good enough for her. I wanted to yell at her so badly. But what was I going to say, 'Those stalls are for handicap people...and mothers of small children.' We should really get our very own stall.