Friday, May 01, 2009

April 2009 - Recap

Ahh, April. What a great month you were.

Well Nataroo, your reflux seems to have gotten a lot better this past month. You're still spitting up, but at least you're a 'happy spitter' and not a 'maniacal spitter'. You've hardly cried after you've eaten - and that's made mealtimes much more pleasant.

This past month, you've also started fighting sleep more. Now I can understand you fighting sleep when you're a toddler - you don't want to go to sleep because you're afraid you're going to miss something fun (and being as incredibly cool as Daddy and I are, we do some pretty fun things). But you're a baby! You don't know yet if you're missing something or not. So stop fighting sleep, okay? I've started swaddling you for your naps, and that seems to keep you a little less grumpy. But seriously. Don't fight sleep. Sleep is wonderful. Sleep is incredible. Sleep is your friend.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Low Points:
  • We've had the occasional explosive diaper, sure. And it's gross, yes, but it's not off-the-charts gross. Until that one fateful morning. You were playing on the floor in the living room. And while I was cleaning up the kitchen, I hear some funny, diaper-filling noises coming from the living room. It doesn't sound too bad, so I finish up cleaning. As I'm walking over to you, the smell hits me. And when I reach down to pick you up, I realize that my hand is wet. I turn you over and see that you have given yourself a poo bath. It exploded out of your diaper and somehow made its way up your back, all the way to your neck. Your NECK. I briefly contemplated taking you through a carwash to get you cleaned up, because, ew, there aren't enough wipes in the world to clean off that level of atrociousness. And how is someone supposed to take a poo-filled onesie off a baby without giving said baby a poo-filled hairdo? Answer: you can't. I briefly contemplated cutting the onesie off you, and if it hadn't been such a cute one, I probably would have. But seeing your hair after I took the onesie off made me wish I had just cut it off you.

    (I'm giggling as I'm writing this, so this probably shouldn't be considered a 'low point')

High Points:

  • Your smile. I know it was a high point from last month, but it's so cute that it'll be a permanent high point. You are the best smiler in the history of smilers. You're such a great smiler that you can't keep it contained to your mouth. You smile from the tips of your fingers to the tips of your toes. And it's seriously the best thing ever. I love watching you and Daddy together. He gets the cutest smiles out of you. And he smiles bigger than I've ever seen him smile, when he smiles at you. It's wonderful.
  • And you even smile when you're nursing. I'll be honest, that's mildly annoying - but only in the sense that I like for meal time to be about business. Eat and be done - that's my philosophy. We've got more fun things to do than for you to dilly-dally while you eat. But it's also incredibly cute. You'll eat for a bit, look up at me, and break into a big smile. So while I try to be mad at the dilly-dallying, I just can't. I'm a victim of your cuteness.
  • You've discovered your voice this month! It's SO much fun. Watching you 'talk' is hysterical. You surprise yourself with the sounds that come out of your mouth. You'll make a new sound and your eyes will open up really wide, like "Holy cow! Did you hear that?! I'm a genius!" Daddy and I love to have conversations with you. They go something like this:
    Nat: blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah (sometimes you'll stick out your tongue while you talk; other times, your tongue remains in your mouth)

    Mommy & Daddy: Really? No way!

    N: aaaah blaaaah aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

    M&D: You don't say! What happened next?

    N: aah aah aah aah aah aah

    M&D: Get outta town! She said that?!


    We could do this for hours. It's so, so fun.

  • This month, Daddy and I have started coming into your room after we put you to bed. Daddy opens his cellphone (to get a little bit of light on your face) and we just watch you sleep for a minute or so. You're so peaceful, all swaddled up like a burrito. Seeing you so relaxed and quiet is a great way for us to unwind after a crazy day. It's a really nice, quiet moment that Daddy and I love sharing.
  • You slept from 9:30pm until 6:30am two nights in a row! I don't expect it to last, but it was w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l while it happened.
  • You're so close to rolling over! You're like 90% of the way there, but that last 10% (usually your left arm) keeps you from going all the way. It's coming soon, though. I can tell.
  • You've gained a lot of weight! You now weigh 13 lbs, 11 oz - up 3 lbs from 6 weeks ago!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

You are incredible, little one. Daddy and I can't get enough of you, and we are humbled every day that God allows us to be your parents.

Hugs and smooches,
Mommy and Daddy

No comments: