Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Oh the Humanity

A nurse from Nemours called me yesterday to go over the check-in procedure for Natalie's endoscopy tomorrow. Get there at 8am, check. Bring NJ's favorite blanket or toy, check. The procedure starts at 11am, check. Bring a sweater because the waiting room is cold, check. No eating after 5am, che-- wait, WHAT?

Nemours obviously doesn't know my daughter. My daughter, the one who, for the past 3.5 weeks, has yet to go more than 4 hours without eating. My daughter, who, for the past 3.5 weeks, has been totally grumpy even WITH a full belly. And you want her last meal to be at 5am? And she won't eat again until after noon?! Oh the humanity.

I mentioned to the nurse my concern about everyone's eardrums and Natalie crying herself hoarse if she has to go that long without eating. She said that the doctor really prefers an empty stomach on all patients getting anesthesia, but she put me on hold to double-check with the doctor. She came back on the line and said that the doctor was fine with pushing her last meal back till 7am, because it takes less time for breastmilk to be digested. Whew.

But if you're within, say, 15 miles of Sacred Heart and you hear this high-pitched wailing, please don't be alarmed. It's just our wonderful Nataroo, politely letting Lee and me know that she's hungry. Now.

All jokes aside - please say a prayer for her. I know everything will be fine, but still. She's my baby girl and I want this procedure to go as smoothly as possible.

2 comments:

Jess said...

That's a tough one. Neither of my kids were ever keen on going more than 2-3 hours between feedings. I kept waiting for them to go longer....never happened.

I know it will be hard to deny her something so basic, and harder to know she doesn't understand WHY you aren't feeding her. Try to stay strong and I know you will do your best to keep her happy, and that she'll be OK.

Love you!!!

Miri said...

Sending y'all love, hugs and prayers for tomorrow.