Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Blueberries

Blueberries are one of my most favorite things on the planet. They're cute, they're highly portable, they're sour, and they're wonderful in so many things (pancakes, muffins, cereal, my mouth ...).

This morning, my mom, Natalie, and I drove up to Molino to pick blueberries. It was miserably hot, but the blueberries (and my car's AC [another one of my most favorite things on the planet]) more than made up for the heat.

I was carrying Natalie in my sling and she had on a big floppy hat, so the only part of her that was exposed to the sun was her right arm that she insisted on flailing around. I was worried she's get sunburned if we stayed too long, so Mom and I only picked for 20 minutes or so.

But we ended up with about 3 lbs of blueberries which cost us a grand total of $2.06! If we had been Natalie-less (carring around an extra 16+ lbs is not conducive to effecient blueberry picking) and/or it hadn't been so hot, we definitely would have picked more. But 3 lbs is great! Especially since I probably ate 4 lbs while we were picking (just kidding, Mr. Blueberry Farm Owner).

I can't remember the last time I had fresh-picked blueberries. They're w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l. Like ten times better than ones from the grocery store.

I can see a few more trips to the blueberry farm in my future.

5 comments:

Eric said...

My Aunt had blueberry bushes. I used to go out and pick them. :) I planted one, but it has yet to create a blueberry. It's growing and looks healthy enough, but no fruit. Oh well.

The first time Elijah ate blueberries, I stuffed 'em into one of those mesh bag things that babies chew and suck on. (Love those, by the way). And I'm gonna send you a picture of what happened when he ate them, so you'll be forewarned. :)

Lee and Suze said...

I have some of those mesh bags! Can't wait to see the result :)

jamie and jeremy said...

Ohhh, I love blueberries too! There's farm off of Hwy 29 on Detroit Blvd as well. A little closer in case you are on a time crunch. You go, pick, put in a baggie, weigh, and stick your payment in the box and go! Can't wait till Ryan is a little older and I can do things like this with him. Btw, don't tell cause it's really not nice, but we've nicknamed "Cryin Ryan". Terrible, I know.

Lee and Suze said...

I won't tell if you won't - that sometimes we call her "Nastalie" (or "Princess Fussypants") when she's being incredibly fussy.

Wes and Rae Leytham said...

oHHH! I didn't know it was blueberry season. I LOVE blueberries and Avery thinks they are AMAZING!!! She asks for them everyday.