Monday, June 01, 2009

May 2009 - Recap

So, yeah, May? Are you friends with March or something? Because you two months were eerily similar.

My darling Natalie. I've done some researched on this 'four-month wakeful period' thing to see if that could explain why, all of a sudden, you stopped sleeping well at night. It's not that you went from sleeping through the night and then started getting up once in the middle of the night. Oh no. When you commit to something, you commit. Instead of getting up once a night, you got up two, three, and sometimes four times a night. It was u-g-l-y.

But you started this month off GREAT, sleeping almost eight hours last night. Let's hope that this streak continues. Daddy will give you a pony if it does.

High points:
  • Your first laugh! Even though it wasn't directed at me or Daddy, it was still awesome. And I was able to get it on video, so that just makes it extra awesome. I will forever be indebted to your Aunt Amanda for making you laugh for the first time.
  • Rolling over like a professional roller-over-er. Daddy and I love watching you roll over. I'm fascinated at how you learn things. It's not like we taught you how to roll over - you just figured it out on your own. And now, you roll over all the time. (Though it would be nice if you could explain to me why you start fussing when you roll onto your stomach ... I put you on the floor on your back and you immediately roll onto your stomach and start crying. Seriously. That makes no sense, kid.)
  • Watching you jump in your Jumperoo. You hated it at first, but now you seem to really like it. In fact, as I'm typing this, you are jumping and singing. It's so incredibly cute. You often surprise yourself with the noises you get the Jumperoo to make. The look of shock on your face is adorable.
  • Your noises! Oh good gracious, your sweet little noises. You sing, you squeal, you squawk, you coo, and you blow raspberries. And they're the sweetest noises we've ever heard.
  • Watching you and Daddy 'play fight'. You'll be in your swing and Daddy will come up to you and you guys will start batting at each other's hands. I have a sneaking suspicion that you'll be a complete Daddy's girl. And I wholeheartedly endorse that. Your Daddy's quite awesome.

Low points:

  • Lack of sleep. Enough said.
  • Not knowing what's causing you to be completely happy one second and completely hysterical the next. We now know that it's not reflux, but we don't know anything more. That's incredibly frustrating.
  • You're like a baby ninja when we swaddle you now. It takes both me and Daddy to get a proper swaddle and even then, most mornings we find you with both arms out, both legs out, and some semblance of a swaddle around your stomach. It's half funny and half annoying, as you often wake yourself up with your flailing arms if you're not swaddled.
  • Having a man ask if you were a boy or a girl when you had a blue bow on your head. Apparently pink bow = girl and blue bow = boy.

Daddy and I are so thankful for your beautiful smile. It's what's gotten us through this rough month. I don't have much experiences with babies, but I swear you've got to be the best smiling baby I've ever seen. Even in our sleep-deprived madness, you bust out one of your smiles at precisely the right time and it helps us refocus.

I can promise you this - Daddy and I won't stop trying to figure out what's causing you such discomfort. Because when you're happy, you're the most delightful person in the world. And we want to see more of that. And we'll try our hardest to find out what's getting in the way of you being happy more often. Because Daddy and I want to bottle up your smiles and sell them to grumpy people. We'd be millionaires in no time.

Hugs and smooches,

Mommy and Daddy

No comments: