Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Books

Instead of a traditional baby shower, my sister threw me a book shower. I loved it! I got some great classics (Goodnight Moon, Guess How Much I Love You) that I've already started reading to Natalie. I got some books that were favorites of friends (If You Give a Mouse A Cookie, a collection of Little Golden Books). And then there was the gift from my mom. She gave me a stack of books that she read to Karen and me when we were little. All these memories came rushing back when I saw the covers. It was really, really special.

Natalie is too young for these books, but I decided to start reading them while I'm feeding Natalie before she goes to sleep. I used to talk to her and sing to her, but lately she's been really distractable. And as soon as she would hear my voice, she'd stop eating and watch me. Cute, yes. But productive, no. So instead of just sitting there in silence while she eats, I thought I would catch up on some of my favorite books from when I was younger.

Here's what I've read so far:
I had forgotten just how prim and proper ND is.
It's really funny (and also refreshing)
And totally unrealistic ... ND and her dad would SO get shot or thrown in jail for doing what they do if this had taken place in 2009.

Oh, how I love Ramona. I don't think I've ever related more to a character in a book. She's gangly, awkward, and bossy. She has a brilliant older sister. She often sticks her foot in her mouth and hates when she doesn't know something that somebody else knows.
This is, hands down, one of my most favorite books in the world. I had forgotten just how wonderful it was until I started reading it again. And this book has taken on a brand new meaning now that I'm a parent. I want to be like Danny's father. (I have several other Roald Dahl books that I'll read - Matilda, The BFG, and Boy. RD is wonderful)


This one is next on my list (my mom, my sister, and I read this book - and the other ones in the series - over and over and over and over again. I can't wait to start it)

No comments: