Thursday, January 07, 2010

Weekly Natalie - Week 53

Natalie's first week as a one-year-old? Done.

This week I started the process of weaning Natalie. When she was born, I said I wanted to nurse her for a year. Of course, when I was in the throws of what-the-heck-am-I-supposed-to-do-with-a-newborn-and-why-isn't-she-an-expert-at-nursing-yet? drama, I never thought I'd make it past a month. But here I am; I met my goal.

If Natalie were a calmer baby, and didn't feel the need to do toe touches or leg stretches, or play with my necklace, hair, or shirt while nursing, I'd probably keep going for a while longer. But for me, a year is good. I'm proud of myself for sticking it out that long.

Her pediatrician's recommendation was to remove one feeding per day for 5-7 days. Then remove another one for another 5-7 days, and so on. Natalie has done really, really well so far. The first feeding I removed was before her morning nap. Instead of feeding her, I read her a story. When I put her in her crib, she fussed for a minute or two, then fell asleep.

I imagine the hardest ones to get rid of will be right after she wakes up and right before she goes to bed for the night. But I figure that if I can get rid of all the other ones by the end of January, I'll be in good shape.

I'm going to give her some whole milk for the first time today. We'll see how it goes. She loves plain yogurt and cheese, so if she doesn't like milk, at least I'll know she's not missing out on calcium and vitamin D.

And Natalie may have taken her first step!! She took a step and then immediately took a knee. So if 'first step' is defined by simply taking a step, then Natalie's done it! But if 'first step' means that you have to remain standing, then, well, Lee and I have a little while longer to enjoy her not walking!

Enough with the drivel, Suze. Get on with the pictures!

A pretty impressive mid-drool shot.
Eric Carle would be proud.

A momentous occasion: she can get her arms over her head!
Rawr!!

Bed headed Scruncher Bear!
She loves her fridge letters!
"I see all these fun toys, but what I really want to play with
is this tiny jingle ball"
Looking sweet and innocent ... and not fooling anybody
Coming to get me!
Maxin' and relaxin'

I love my little love

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congrats to you & natalie for making the one year mark with nursing!!!! She is a cutie!!! :)