Thursday, September 10, 2009

August 2009 - Recap

Well Baby Girl, I have good news and I have bad news.

The bad news is that when our computer died, I had a backup of everything except my recap for August. So this recap will be a little sparse and might include things that actually happened in September.

The good news is that when our computer died, I had a backup of everything except my recap for August. And I don't recall the majority of the 'low points' I had written down. So you'll have looked like a perfect angel for August!

August had a LOT of firsts. You are now officially mobile. It didn't take long for you to get the hang of crawling. And now, there's no stopping you. You're still very distractable, so you often times don't make it to your original target. "Here I come towards that ball. Look at it! It's so pretty and pink. Here I come, Mr. Ball. Ready or n-- Ooooh! What's that over there? Daddy's cell phone?! I need that NOW. Here I co-- Ooooh! What's that over THERE? A fuzzball! I need THAT!"

But before you had figured out crawling, you pulled yourself up! You love to stand now. The couch and the loveseat are your new playground. I'm grateful for our carpeted floors because you've taken a couple of impressive spills already. You don't get too upset anymore when you fall - you get right back up again. Though you did bonk your head on the coffee table pretty hard, which prompted Daddy and me to move it to the corner of the living room. You haven't had much interest in the coffee table since then.

Separation anxiety was full-fledged in August. You can be happy and cheerful, and I leave the room (or even your field of vision) for a nanosecond, you burst into this pitiful, panicky cry. And as soon as I come back into the room (or your field of vision), you look simultaneously relieved and extremely annoyed that I would have the nerve to leave you. As frustrating as that can be, it's pretty endearing. You think I'm pretty awesome and I have to admit, it's quite a little ego
trip for me. So thanks for that.

You started feeding yourself with a spoon this month. I was feeding you one day, and you took the spoon out of my hand and put it in your mouth. And the food that was on the spoon pretty much all made it in your mouth. I tried not to intervene ... I want to foster this new independence of yours but I also am trying to keep the dining room from being splattered with sweet potatoes. Perhaps that's a futile move on my part. And I don't know if you wanted to feed yourself or you just wanted to continue on with your desire to stick everything in your mouth. Speaking of that, how come you put EVERYthing in your mouth (your toes, my toes, cellphones, the remote controls, your toys, etc) but as soon as you pick up a Puff or a Cheerio, you immediately drop it. The thing you're SUPPOSED to eat is the thing that you never put in your mouth. You'll eat them if I feed them to you, but you never put them in your mouth yourself. Why is that?

You're still toothless, much to all of our dismay. Your mouth seemed to really bother you this month. Thank goodness for Baby Motrin and mesh feeders full of frozen banana and avocado.

You had croup this month. Not a serious case, thank the Lord, but I think we were able to catch it before it got too bad. I took you to get x-rays of your chest and neck to make sure that you hadn't swallowed something that was now stuck in your throat (the pediatrician said you didn't 'look' sick besides having a barking cough - so she was worried you had something in your throat). The x-rays confirmed that you weren't choking on anything and also confirmed that you
did have croup. I was hoping that since you were sick, you'd be a little more cuddly, but no dice.

Even though we have proof that you've smiled in the bathtub, it was a one-time thing. You hate baths. Seriously HATE. It's like you're allergic to water or something. Well, that's not true. You don't mind at ALL getting hit with raindrops. You tilt your head back and let the drops hit you on the face. But you still hate bathtime. And now that you're mobile, you're in need of more frequent baths. Sorry about that, kiddo. Maybe one day you'll like them.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Have I mentioned how much Daddy and I are in love with you? Because we are. There are many times a day when we'll just sit and watch you in amazement. You're spunky. You're a spitfire. You have personality coming out of your ears. You're opinionated. You're playful. You're giggly. You're determined. You're destined to be a big goofball. And we couldn't be more proud or consider ourselves any luckier to be your parents. You, my darling, are amazing.

Hugs and Smooches,
Mommy and Daddy

2 comments:

Jess said...

Have you held her in the shower? Just thinking if she likes rain and hates baths, it might be worth trying. Not that you want to take a shower every time you want to give her a bath ... but just a thought.

And we used this thing around our coffee table to protect the kiddos noggins: http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=393&parentCategoryId=85183&categoryId=85216&subCategoryId=86202

It's ugly, but it works. ;) And since it's stretchy, you don't have to worry about sticky stuff on your furniture, or worry about it falling off.

Michelle Villarreal said...

Little Girl you are so blessed with two very wonderful parents! They make you even more beautiful (which is hard to imagine)! Little one they compliment you so well as you do them!