Monday, February 08, 2010

Fantastic Book

Hi, my name is Suzanne. And I'm a grammar fiend.

My parents and my sister are the same way, so I come by it honestly. The misuse of apostrophes is something that drives me especially crazy. And God bless Lynne Truss, because she wrote a children's book addressing this very issue.I mean, really. "Cute" doesn't even begin to describe it. The book has 15 or so sentences, with two pages devoted to each sentence. One page has a picture of what the sentence is really describing; the other page has a picture of what the sentence says if the apostrophe is in the wrong place.

For instance, "The Giant Kids' Playground" shows a picture of a huge playground. "The Giant Kid's Playground", however, shows a humongous child swinging on one swing, while beside him, three regular-sized kids are all sitting together on the other swing.

Hysterical, no?

3 comments:

Moore Family said...

How cool? I love it! Is it girly? I want to get a copy, because with homeschooling E next year, we'll be doing this sort of thing. ;)

Lee and Suze said...

Nope - not girly at all! It's got really cute, gender-unspecific artwork - I highly recommend it!!

Wes and Rae Leytham said...

OMG! I NEED that book. I am easily annoyed by grammar ignorance.