Tuesday, February 02, 2010

January 2010 - Recap

Really? January is already over? Hmm ... that's odd.

Well, honey bunny, your mom has just proven (yet again) to you that she has very little concept of time. And, no offense, but it's all your fault. There are many days that go by when I have no clue what day of the week it is. And now, I've let a whole month go by without my noticing.

You are quite the little walker! You started a few days after your 1st birthday, taking a few Frankenstein-y steps. You're not 100% coordinated yet (but you're my daughter, so that may be an unreachable goal), but you're really close. You'll now take steps unprompted by my or Daddy's outstretched arms. You're gaining a lot of independence, and though scary, it's such a gift to be able to watch you grow.

January was chock full of sickness. You were graced by the presence of a virus, croup, and then another virus (which you are still trying to fight off. You poor pumpkin). And I was adorned with mastitis. For the few days where our sicknesses overlapped, we were quite the duet. You would cough like a pack-a-day smoker, then I would moan about feeling like I got socked in the chest, then you would sniffle, then my teeth would start chattering because it was FREEZING in
my mastitis-y body, and then you'd bring about the finale by sneezing on me. Ew.

Thankfully our sicknesses waited until we were home from our first three-membered Team Smith Road Trip Extravaganza. Daddy and I were nervous how you would handle being cooped up in your carseat for so long, and while you had your moments of head-spinning hysterics, you were great. We got to eat some delicious food, visit with some wonderful friends, and spend some excellent one-on-one-on-one time with each other.

I started back to school this month. I began my Masters a few years ago, often referred to as BN (Before Natalie). My plan was to finish up before I got pregnant, but surprise! God had other plans. So I took five semesters off while I got the hang of this mom thing (though I've realized that I'll NEVER get the hang of it. It's a lifelong OJT situation ...). I put off going back for long enough, and I decided to bite the bullet and just do it. So now, barring any ill-forseen events, I'll have my Master's by the middle of December. I'm trying to get used to working in short bursts while you nap, but that doesn't always work. You are quite demanding of my attention and get royally upset if I even THINK about opening up my stats book to glance at while you play. It's like you have this little alarm that goes off right when I'm about to do something productive and/or educational. Must. Interrupt. Mommy. NOW.

I can hear you half crying/half babbling in your crib, so I'm blaming the shortness of this letter on you. (Are you seeing a pattern yet?). I can't believe you're 13 months old. I can't believe how wonderful you are. And Daddy and I can't believe our fortune at getting to be your parents. You rock.

Hugs and smooches,
Mommy & Daddy

No comments: