Thursday, February 25, 2010

Weekly Natalie - Week 60

This has been a pretty interesting week here at Casa de Smith. Natalie is still a great nap-taker. She takes two naps during the day, and for the most part, she does it without too much of a fuss. She usually wakes up from her afternoon nap around 3pm and she's ready for dinner at about 5pm. For the past week, her bewitching hour has started like clockwork at 4:30. We're talking full-on meltdown mode. Crying if I hold her, crying if I put her down. Crying as she plays with a toy, crying as she carries a book to me so I can read to her.

Needless to say, it's darn near impossible to fix her dinner while she's hysterical and hanging on to my leg (as if for dear life). I've got to do better about having her dinner already made before 5. I like to feed her what Lee and I are eating, but given this recent string of hysterics, she may very well get her own super-quick dinner.

I made some pulled pork for dinner tonight (it's an amazing recipe ... thank you, Tyler Florence!) It's yummy enough to bring me out of any funk I might be in. But Natalie? No. She cried the whole time while she was eating it. Sorry about that, Tyler. Don't take any offense. She's a weird kid.

After her bath tonight (which, by the way, she still hates. Hates. Haaaaaates.), I was reading Nana Upstairs, Nana Downstairs. I pointed out to Natalie that Nana Downstairs had on black shoes and Tommy had on white shoes. And what does Natalie do? She crawls out of my lap, goes over to her shoes, and holds them up! It's probably a fluke, but I'll take it! Hello, Mensa? Yeah, you might want to keep an eye on my kid. She knows what a shoe is.

Using her 4 wheeler as a walker
Thinking she's big stuff
All those toys, and she chooses to play with her shoe
I have to teach her that nibbling on a penguin's beak isn't polite
Yay!
Big blue-eyed pumpkin
My little drool bucket
She's smiling because compared to the hippo on her bib,
her cheeks don't look quite as humongous
Big smiles!
She started signing back to me!
This is her sign for 'more'.
She wants more food, not for me to take more pictures.
Too bad for her.
Ha!

2 comments:

The Skippers said...

I love that she is signing! I am trying with Lucy. I haven't gotten anything, but I keep doing it. We will have to talk! She has the prettiest eyes!

Lee and Suze said...

It took almost 3 months of signing to Natalie before she did it back to us. She understood what we were doing after a while, but it took a lot longer for her to do it back to us. It's so fun to be able to communicate with her!