Monday, March 01, 2010

February 2010 - Recap

What a wild, fun, crazy, snot-filled month this was, my darling girl.

Whew. February was definitely the Month o' Snot. You were sick for the majority of February, but thankfully you were only really REALLY sick for 3 or 4 days. And we snuggled like champs for those days. It was wonderful.

Daddy and I think you're going to be left-handed. Among other things, you prefer to eat with your left hand. We intentionally put food on the right side of your booster seat tray, thinking that will get you to use your right hand. But no dice. It's funny to watch you try to contort your body so you can pick up your food with your left hand. Something that we love about you eating with your left hand? Your right hand spends the meal gently placed on our knee. You do that when you read books, too. You enjoy being independent and doing your own thing, but you also feel more comfortable when we're close by. And let me tell you something, kid - it's A-OK by us. We'll always be there for you to put your hand on our knee.

You had your first experience at Chuck E Cheese this month. And I'm sorry to tell you this, but I haaaaaaaaaate that place. The birthday party part was fun, and you liked eating pizza and seeing all your friends. But the place was chock full of punk kids. Punks with a capital 'P'. Daddy and I took shifts taking you to play on the slide. During one of Daddy's shifts, you toddled over to the slide. You lost your balance, and to help you back up, you put one hand on the slide and put your other hand on what happened to be the shoulder of a 2-year-old girl. Then girl whipped around and scratched your face. Maybe the girl is a punk, or maybe she's got a lot of older brothers and just plays rough - either way, I was furious that some kid purposefully scratched my baby. Thankfully the girl's mom saw the whole thing and took her kid out of the play area. And Daddy scooped you up and took you out of the play area too. You calmed down shortly afterward, but Daddy was really mad. His Daddy Bear instinct was in full swing. I think if we ever go back to CEC, it'll be on a Tuesday morning. Hopefully that's a good Punk-Free time.

You had an interesting trip to the park with Granddaddy and Gramma Lu this month. I was at a coupon workshop and Daddy was at a math competition at UWF (yeah, if you didn't already know this, your parents are huge dorks), so Granddaddy and Gramma Lu came over to watch you. It was a really pretty day outside, so they decided to take you to the park down the street. It's something they've done many times before, and didn't think that day would be any different. To make a long story short(er), the three of you were playing at the park when my dad saw an unattended pit bull roaming around the other side of the park. He got wary (as I would have), so he, Gramma Lu, and you all climbed up on the platform of the jungle gym. The dog came closer to where you were, walked under the equipment, and laid down. Chances are the dog was perfectly fine and friendly, but Granddaddy didn't want to take any chances, especially with you around. So he called the police department and animal control, trying to get someone to come and get the dog. After a few brushoffs, he called back, this time using a more colorful assortment of words. He also called Daddy to tell him what was going on. Daddy left the math competition and came to the park, armed with a baseball bat and his Glock (to all PETA members - my husband does not make a point to shoot dogs, but if push came to shove and he had to choose between the dog and his daughter and in-laws, well, so long, Rover). Thankfully Animal Control was there when Daddy got to the park, so the Glock stayed unused. The Animal Control guy said that Granddaddy did the right thing by calling them. The dog appeared friendly, but it just wasn't worth taking a risk. You remained oblivious to the whole thing, obviously, and I'm eternally thankful to Granddaddy and Gramma Lu for taking such good care of you.

You finally overcame your fear of your four-wheeler! I decided to put it in the living room, but not have you sit on it. My plan was for you to explore it on your own time and in your own way. And lo and behold, you did! For a week or so, you just used it as a walker. But just recently, you started to climb on it. You love getting on it, getting off it, and getting back on it. And you've found the little red button that makes it go! Of course, you haven't mastered the art of pressing the button very precisely, so you end up stopping and starting, much like a 15-year-old in driver's ed.

You're signing back to us now! You now sign 'more', and who knew that something simple as that could be so amazing! It's so neat to be able to communicate with you. As soon as we start bringing you to your booster seat, you immediately start signing for 'more'. It's pretty funny. And you've learned to use 'more' with more than just food. If you want us to read a book to you again, you sign 'more'. So. Cool.

Speaking of eating, you're not capable of *just* eating. No ma'am, not you. You hum while you eat. You sound like Bill Murray in What About Bob? You're so noisy! As cute as it is, I hope it's a phase ...

And speaking of eating again, you're all through with me! Your nursed for the last time this month. I started the weaning process way back in November because I wanted this to be easy on both of us. I didn't think stopping you cold turkey would be good for either of us. So I started slowly, and at the beginning of this month, you were just nursing at night. And one night, I went out with some friends so Daddy was in charge of bedtime. I didn't leave any milk for a bottle, so he just read you a story and put you in your crib. And it was a success!! You handled it so well, and I truly think that making this a long process was the key. I miss the closeness that we shared while you nursed, but you also give me a couple more hugs than you did before. So I'll take it!

About a week or two, I found a really wonderful, heart-breaking blog that documents the life of a family's two-year-old daughter and her brave fight with cancer. This blog helped me renew my love and appreciation for every moment I get to spend with you - and I'm a little ashamed to admit that I was in a point where I needed that renewal. I think I sometimes take for granted being a stay-at-home mom. I see you all day, every day, so I think I've forgotten to soak up those little moments. Those moments where you giggle to yourself while playing with your blocks, you struggle (and then succeed) with figuring out a puzzle, you come up behind me and put your two tiny hands on my back and shriek with delight. I don't want to take anything for granted. You are too wonderful a person for me to not cherish every moment I'm with you. I hope this renewal will help me keep things in perspective. Like when you throw a tantrum (like you are right now, interestingly enough), this renewal helps me keep my cool better. It's still frustrating when you throw a tantrum, but at least you're *here* to throw that tantrum. You're here. With me. And I consider myself the luckiest mommy in the history of mommies.

Hugs and smooches,
Mommy & Daddy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Koko,
This is your Aunt Amanda. I'm completlely ok with you calling me Aunt Manda, Aunt Ummmuhmma, Hey You, ANYTHING, as long as you one day recognize me! Thanks to Aunt Lisa's upcoming wedding your Mommy and I have been spending a lot of wonderful, fun time together this month... and you get to join in. However, I do long for the day when I come over for the umpteen-zillioneth time and you look at me and remember that we have, in fact, met before! Your Gramma Lu tells me its ok because you still take a minute to warm up to her too right now. But still - If I'm going to be there as your life-long friend, crazy fun aunt that you can giggle with and complain about Mommy to, you're going to need to step it up, little girl. We'll discuss this again next month :)
Love you little monkey,
AUNT AMANDA!!!

Lee and Suze said...

You are so, so cute!! I'll have a talk with Koko about her recognizing skills (or lack thereof)