Friday, March 05, 2010

Interesting Thought about TV

I'm not a TV addict, but I freely admit I like having it on as background noise. I've never let (?) Natalie watch any TV other than a few Baby Einstein videos. I mean, she'll periodically glance at whatever is on, but never just sits down and watches TV. Though I will so that she does like watching the weather segment for the local news. Whenever the 'weather music' plays, she stops what she's doing and stares intently at the meteorologist. It's pretty cute.

Oh, and she also likes watching The Price is Right - mainly because the audience always claps, and Natalie looooooooves to clap. It makes her momma and her Uncle Mike so proud.

Anywho. It's a little embarrassing to admit it, but I just realized that the TV seems to be stressing out Natalie. I never put two and two together, that maybe the noise and constant motion of the TV was the cause (or at least part of the cause) of Natalie being so fussy at times.

So last week, I just decided to keep the TV off for the majority of the time she's awake. And it's like I have a different child. Maybe it's a coincidence, but I'm thinking it's not. Like now, for instance. Normally she'd have a FIT that I was on the computer and not playing with her. But she's quietly and contentedly playing with herself. It's amazing.

And I don't have the TV on while she eats dinner - which has made that meal more pleasant. And after dinner, she and Lee usually play a lot before dinner. Normally Natalie would start getting really whiny and fussy after a few minutes of playing. But without the TV on, she's been much happier before bedtime. She whines a little bit when she's really tired, but it's nothing compared to what she's done in the past.

So instead of the TV as background noise, I have KLOVE as background noise. It's fabulous.

So I apologize for neglecting you, Mr. Sony. But you make my baby fussy and anxious. And your pretty HD picture can't compete with a happy Nataroo.

2 comments:

Jess said...

We are tv off people. Mostly because of the kids. When we visit my in-laws, they leave the tv on ALL the time, and it drives me crazy. LOL But it bugs the kids too - they are more distracted for one thing, and they get upset that WE are more distracted. Anyway, my kids are loud enough that I don't need any added noise. haha That's not true, I play music almost constantly. :)

jamie and jeremy said...

The whining/fussing after a few minutes and having a fit because you are on the computer sounds so much like Ryan. I am jealous of you though, because you have discovered the problem! Please come over and help me figure out Ryan's! :)