Thursday, October 08, 2009

Croup Magnet

So I'm thinking that Natalie is a croup magnet. She started developing the same croup-y, emphysema-y, hoarse-y cough a few days ago. At first I just thought a piece of Cheerio had gone down the wrong tube, but it didn't take us long to figure out it was something ickier.

Her temperature was only 99.4, but I really didn't like the sound of her cough, so I took her in to see her pediatrician. She also had this rash on her face and several bumps on her leg. I was pretty sure they weren't related, but I had read that rashes are sometimes a symptom of swine flu. Better to be safe than sorry!

Nat's pediatrician looked in her ears and throat, listened to her chest, and reassured me that all Nat had was an upper respiratory infection. She said that some babies are just more susceptible to these kinds of bugs, and Nat might fall into that category.

Lee and I are thrilled that it's not something more severe, but unfortunately there's not a whole lot we can do for her besides waiting it out. I bought a cool mist humidifier for her room and I'm giving her Pedialyte periodically.

Thankfully she doesn't seem to be too affected by this bug. Where she normally goes 90-to-nothing, she's down to about 88-to-nothing. The bummer is that she's not sick enough to bring on any snuggling. Maybe next time ... :)

No comments: