Saturday, May 01, 2010

April 2010 - Recap

Oh my. I'm considering making a petition that every person in the world should have a 15-month-old to hang out with. Because really, this month was nothing short of hysterical. For example, this month you started randomly making these noises that can only be typed as "BAAAAAAH!". It's not a yell, not a squeal, not a screech, not a scream. It's a BAAAAAAAH. You'll be walking down the hall, stop suddenly, let loose with a mighty "BAAAAAAH!", put both hands on your head, turn around once or twice, then continue on down the hall. So very random, and so very funny.

You had your first real experience with playing with another kid this month. I mean, you've been around other kids your whole life, but this was your first time being around another baby for an extended period of time. One of my best friends Nicole came into town for one of my other best friends Lisa's wedding. Nicole brought her beautiful nine-month-old baby Naomi with her. Surprisingly, it didn't take you long to warm up to either one of them. I think it's because you were in a familiar environment. Unfamiliar people in a familiar environment seems to be okay with you. And by "be okay with", I mean "bring out the little bully in". You made it
abundantly clear to Naomi that whatever book she was looking at just happened to be the exact book that you wanted to read. And you had no problem ripping the book out of her hands. Now I know that 15-month-olds aren't known for their impressive sharing skills, and nine-month-olds aren't known for their ability to care if someone takes something from them, but still. It's the principle of the thing. I don't want you to be a bruiser. That's Daddy's job.

This month assured me that you are, in fact, a certifiable genius. I can ask you to go get the Hippo Book and you know exactly what book I'm talking about. And you can pick it from your filled-to-the-brim bookshelf. You can also get your Cheerio Book, your Blue Hat Book, your Moo Baa Book, your Pookie Book, and your Waddle Book. Perhaps this is a normal activity for someone your age, but since I have very little experience with kids your age, you automatically become the smartest one I know. So there.

Last month, I mentioned how you have developed quite a literary opinion. But this month? This month, you have developed quite a culinary opinion. And, if I may speak freely, it's really annoying. I long for the days when you would eat whatever I fed you. It made me feel like an AWESOME mom, because I could get my kid to eat anything and everything. Because now, if you don't like something, you reach in your mouth, take out the offending morsel, and either hand it to me or drop it on the floor. Or, if you're not wanting to mess up your hands, you just open your mouth and let the aforementioned offending morsel fall on your highchair tray. Did I mention how cute that was? Oh, I didn't? Hmm. Perhaps that's because it's NOT. So we're not really able to go out to eat in public anymore unless we bring something for you to eat that I'm relatively sure you'll like. Because we can't assume anymore that you'll eat some of what we order. So I pack a separate meal for you. But I know this will backfire on me eventually. I'm sure one day you'll decide you hate turkey sandwiches or peanut butter sandwiches ... and that will be a sad, sad day.

You learned a new skill this month. You can now walk backwards with as much coordination as you walk forwards (which, frankly, doesn't mean much. You're still a clumsy kid .... because, frankly, you're still my kid). You look like you're moonwalking when you do it. It's pretty awesome.

You have been interested in EVERYthing this month. When we read books or run errands or pretty much do anything, you point to everything and ask "Dat?". It's really cute to see you so curious about the world around you. You're interested in flowers, bugs, leaves, shoes, hairbrushes, carpet fuzz, picture frames, etc. You pay attention to different textures - the soft blanket we keep on the couch is your current favorite.

You know a few body parts, namely eyes, ears, head, hair, feet, toes, arm, and belly button. You know that other people have noses, but you haven't figured out that you yourself have a nose. You point to all of your body parts, but when it comes to the nose, you point to someone else's. You loooove showing off your belly button. And you like lifting my shirt to see my belly button. That I find cute, but what I find NOT cute is that after you point to my belly button, you proceed to pinch my belly fat. Not cute at ALL. Don't advertise other people's belly fat. Pot meet kettle.

Daddy reminded me of two more things that I should add to this recap. So here goes: Daddy recently put up a swing on the big oak tree in our front yard. And rarely are you happier than when you're swinging. You love the swing at the park by our house, but you don't get to point at cars driving by (one of your favorite outside activities). But with this new tree swing, not only can you swing, but you can also point at cars! Life just reached a new level of fun for you.

Speaking of fun, another one of your favorite activities is to play on our bed. We (gently, of course) toss you on the bed and a symphony of giggles and squeals immediately erupts. You like to stand on our pillows and try to reach the top of the headboard. You also do this thing where you stand up (or kneel, depending on how your balance is), raise your arms as high as you can, then belly-flop on the bed. You get quite the kick out of yourself when you do that. You've also tried to do that while falling backwards, but you usually chicken out and turn to your side. But your all-time favorite activity on our bed has got to be sliding off the edge. You still have no concept of depth perception or broken collarbones. You start by peering over the edge of the bed and then you slowly start to inch yourself over the edge. If Daddy wasn't holding onto your ankle, you'd easily sail off the bed. Which is terrifying. To me. To you, though, it's the best game in the history of world. So you 'fall' off the bed (with Daddy still holding tightly to your ankle), he 'drops' you on the floor (while still holding your ankle), you giggle, do the sign for "more", and he puts you back on the bed. Lather, rinse, repeat.

You are growing up so quickly. On one hand, I love it. I love how you do something new every day. How your personality is really developing. How you're becoming so independent. How you already have a fantastic sense of humor. But on the other hand, it's quite distressing. I mean, how can you do so many things when just yesterday Daddy and I took you home from the hospital? All parents say their kids grow up way too fast. And it couldn't be more true. I want to bottle these moments with you. Bottled Natalie-isms. I could be a millionaire.

Hugs and smooches,
Mommy and Daddy

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Headlines from May 1, 2010:
Gulf Oil Slick Triples in Size as Rough Seas Thwart Cleanup
Super Saver wins a mucky Kentucky Derby
Bullock Says 'Bye' to Jesse, 'Hi' to Baby
Conan O'Brien on NBC-- It Was 'Toxic'
Despite lawsuit, Buffett backs Goldman Sachs
Census workers get ready for door-to-door count

No comments: