Monday, December 01, 2008

Car Seats and Such

There's no turning back now - we are now the proud owners of a car seat and a stroller. At our last appointment, our midwife recommended we go ahead and get a car seat just in case GB decides to grace us with her presence earlier than we had planned. She didn't want Lee to have to make an emergency run to Target to pick up a random car seat just so we could leave the hospital.

So on Friday, we went to Storkland and made our financially-painful-but-so-worth-it-safety-wise purchases. The ladies who work there are so great. They took the car seat out to our car and showed us how to install it. We decided to go with a convertible car seat instead of an infant carrier, so it takes up a bit more room in my backseat. It's not terrible though; my parents were able to fit in the backseat without feeling too much like sardines.

My family and I have always been amused when we see someone pushing an empty stroller - we always want to go up to them and make sure that, yes, they know the stroller is empty and, yes, they know who has their baby ... and not, oh no! I must have left Junior at Starbucks! I wonder if anyone thinks of that when they see me driving around with my empty car seat.

I canNOT believe it's December already. In some ways, I feel super prepared for GB's arrival. In other ways, however, I feel woefully unprepared. I started organizing her clothes and diapers to make sure we have enough of each size (or at least enough of the newborn and 0-3 month sizes). I think we have enough onesies (says the woman with no experience of how often newborns end up needing an outfit change), and I think we're okay on diapers (says the woman with no experience of how often newborns end up needing a diaper change), but I might get a few more just to be sure.

I'm curious to see how this cloth diaper adventure will pan out. We've received plenty of disposal diapers from my baby showers, so we'll definitely have a backup. But hopefully we won't need them. Lee's been so sweet and supportive with my wanting to try cloth - and the diapers are so stinkin' cute - that I really hope we can get the hang of them.

Oh - and Lee's decided not to shave until the baby is born. He hardly ever shaves on Saturdays, but with our long Thanksgiving weekend, he didn't shave on Thursday or Friday either. And on Sunday he had a pretty good stubble going. I was convinced he'd shave before going to church, but he left it. And decided that he wants to take the month of December to see how long it'll grow. I'm not a huge fan of beards, but I'll do my best to support my scruffy, mountain man husband.

2 comments:

Wes and Rae Leytham said...

I think we need to see a photo of Mr Scruffy. Congrats on your carseat purchase. Don't worry...I drive around without a baby in my carseat all the time. Oh, Wes and I took the stroller shopping last week. Yes we did. No baby, just the stroller. It helped us to not have to go back to the truck every time our hands got full! Congrats on trying cloth. I might with the next one. Which kind of cloth did you try? I know a few blogs I can share with you who are moms that love cloth.

Lee and Suze said...

I'll definitely post a picture of Mr. Scruffy - and then I'll happily post a picture after he shaves (can't wait!).

Since I don't know what we'll like and what she'll like, I've got a pretty fair mix of all different kinds of diapers (prefolds, AIOs, fitteds, etc). If you don't mind, send those blogs my way - I always need advice/tips.