Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Nervous?

I've been asked quite a few times if I'm nervous ... and I'd be a loon (and a big fat liar) if I said no. I'm very nervous about a lot of things. But one thing I'm not too nervous about is the whole labor and delivery process. I think our Bradley Classes were tremendously helpful in getting both of us prepared for that. Of course, I'm a little nervous about it, but not nearly to the degree I was thinking I would be.

To be honest, I'm more worried about my water breaking while I'm at Walmart. Or work. Or my car. Or anywhere that's NOT home. I'm very happy with our choice to do this completely natural and unscheduled, but not knowing when it'll happen is driving me crazy. It's like knowing someone is going to punch me in the face sometime between now and January 9th, but that's all I know. So I start walking cautiously around corners and looking behind me in the hopes that I'm able to spot the face-puncher before he gets to me. Not that I'm equating going into labor with getting punched in the face, but you know what I mean.

And I'm also nervous about our first day home from the hospital. I'm sure we'll be ready to leave the hospital, but it'll also be scary being away from the 24/7 help of the nurses. Do they realize that Lee and I won't have a single idea of what we're doing? That GB will be left in the care of two amateurs? Poor GB ... I hope you don't mind being our guinea pig for child-rearing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought the same thing after Duke was born. I kept thinking, "Aren't the nurses going to call and check on us a few days into it to make sure that we were all surviving? How can they let us take this baby out of the hospital when we have no idea what we are doing?" But it's been two and a half years since I've had those thoughts and we are thriving. You will, too!

Wes and Rae Leytham said...

Isn't it scary that the only thing you have to do to be a parent is have sex? weird.

Lee and Suze said...

Haha! Very good point though ... you'd think you should have to take a test or something. But no.