Thursday, December 11, 2008

Hospital Tour

Last night, we went to the hospital orientation at Baptist. There were a bunch of moms who were due in March, April, and May - so perhaps I should have signed us up for it earlier than I did. Lee said it was a good idea for us to do it when we did, so that we won't forget anything (like where to park, where to register, etc). It makes sense.

She told us about a lot of the classes that the hospital offers (breastfeeding, infant care, infant CPR, etc). I think some of those will come in handy. We also got to tour the maternity ward. I really, really liked the look of the L&D rooms. They felt pretty homey (you know, for being a hospital room and all), and not all cold and impersonal like I've seen in other places. The recovery rooms are nice, too. They each have a pull-out sofa and there's room to put an air mattress if the pull-out couch isn't comfortable.

Two of the L&D rooms have Jacuzzi tubs, and they're given out on a first-come first-served basis. Though at our weekly appointment today, our midwife said that she's kicked out politely asked people to switch rooms if they aren't using the Jacuzzi. Since I'm hoping to do at least some of my laboring in the tub, I'm crossing my fingers that we can snag one of those rooms!

She also commented on how swollen my feet/ankles were (they're pretty bad - I'm glad it's cold so I can cover those puppies up in socks!). She told me to drink more water and rest more (she mentioned that I look more tired than I did at my last appointment - which is true). Resting sounds delightful ... the stack of laundry in our closet will just have to wait.

1 comment:

Jess said...

With Linc I was lucky enough to labor in the water. I thought beforehand that I didn't want to deliver in the water - but once I got in the water, and everything felt so much better and labor was so much easier, there was no way I was getting out. So little Linc was born in the water. :)